Candidates prepare for the final stretch of the District 2 Constable race

MERIDIAN, Miss. (WTOK) - The race for the seat of District 2 Constable comes down to two candidates, the incumbent Chris McFarland and his opponent Ondray Harris, Jr.

McFarland was appointed to the constable seat last December after the elected constable was appointed to fill a justice court judge post left vacant by the retirement of Judge Robbie Robinson.

McFarland is hopeful that this election will lead to better communication with the District 2.

"It's more to it than just writing tickets or taking people to jail. It's more on helping and bridging. And I think that's what I want to impact more in District 2. I want to let the people who don't know me know that I am that person," McFarland says.

His opponent, Ondray Harris, Jr., is hopeful that he can follow in his father's footsteps. Harris Sr. was constable for the county for 24 years. It's an opportunity that Harris says will allow him to start of his own legacy.

"I have a passion for this community like no other. The love that I have and the desires that I have for this community goes beyond just a job. It goes to the point of wanting to make sure the community is growing," Harris, Jr. says.

City officials report that special elections typically result in low turnouts, but the constable candidates remain hopeful that the District 2 residents will go to the polls and vote for the person of their choice.

"District 2, it's a big district. I know it's going to be a low turnout but I urge people to just get out and vote and to help me continue to do the job that I'm doing right now," McFarland says.

"I want to serve the people of this community. Not just this position, but just to serve the people of this community. I want them to have the insurance that they have elected someone that's going to work for them," Harris, Jr. says.

The special election will be November 7th. Polls will be open from 7 a.m. until 7 p.m. To find out if you can vote in this election, you can check your voter registration card or contact the circuit clerk’s office.