Clarke County fire prompts safety reminders for residents

STONEWALL, Miss. (WTOK) - Firefighters were on scene to battle this fully engulfed home in the 1900 block of County Road 343 Thursday afternoon. After first responders assessed the scene, preliminary investigations suggest that a generator was the source of this fire.

“Preliminary investigations suggest that something happened to the generator that caused the fire. However, once the fire scene is cooled down where we could get back in and take a further look at it, then we would be able to determine more about what the fire is,” Shane Harper says.

Harper says that a running generator can provide certain hazards. He says that you should always be cautious when they are on and running.

“The thing about running a generator inside a home especially around open flame, you have gas, a gas powered generator, so that provides a danger within itself,” Harper says.

Harper continues by saying that the best way to avoid these types of risks are to have these equipments properly installed.

“We just want to make sure that people are aware that anytime you get ready to hook a generator to your home for any reason what so ever rather it be a disaster or loss of power for whatever reason that it is done by a professional,” Harper says.

Nobody was injured in the fire. Officials suggest having heating equipment checked yearly to prevent possible fires.