House fire causes damage in southeastern Lauderdale County

House fire on Bunk Newell Road (Photo Source: WTOK-TV)

LAUDERDALE COUNTY, Miss. (WTOK) Some quick action by neighbors prevented a house fire from spreading Monday morning in Lauderdale County.

It happened on Bunk Newell Road in the southeastern part of the county about 8:30 a.m. Lauderdale County Fire Coordinator Allan Dover says neighbors used a garden hose on the fire before volunteer firefighters arrived on scene to put it out completely. The fire caused heat and smoke damage throughout the house.

Dover says the fire started in one of the bedrooms. He determined the cause of the fire was accidental and was caused by a wall heater.

Southeast, Long Creek and Clarkdale volunteer fire departments responded to the scene to help get the fire out.