MERIDIAN, Miss. (WTOK) - Kenmonte Wooten made his initial appearance in court Thursday after he was charged in the shooting death 18-year-old Jamarcus Lloyd.
"We received a call on Monday night that a subject had been shot. Based on the investigation, we've been told that basically it was a drive-by shooting,” says Sgt. Dareall Thompson.
Police haven't released a motive, but Thompson says Wooten and Lloyd knew each other.
"I do believe we have the person who is responsible for the death of the victim. We still have more people we need to interview in this case,” says Thompson.
Investigators say even though Wooten is 17, he will be prosecuted as an adult.
"The type of crime he committed was with a deadly weapon which caused him to be charged as an adult,” explains Thompson.
Sgt. Thompson says teen violence in the city needs to stop.
"It’s just something that could have been prevented, based on someone getting upset with another person. Guns are not the answer. They are made to protect, not to just go out and shoot somebody,” says Thompson.
Wooten is charged with murder and drive-by shooting. He waived his preliminary hearing Thursday. His initial $1 million bond was reduced to a total of $400,000, $200,000 for each charge.
Thompson says the fatal shooting is still under investigation.