The shelves at United Blood Services are pretty empty right now, and there's a chance they could be in even more need than usual soon.
UBS is taking part in a plan to provide supplementary blood supplies to the U.S. Department of Defense in case of war.
Officials with the blood provider say their supply will be a back-up for the supply the military already has.
UBS in Meridian is one of dozens of other blood centers nationwide that are taking part in the effort. But ultimately, if and when a war happens, and they're called upon to provide blood, how much they can supply will ultimately be up to the public.
UBS officials say they hope the plan won't have to be put into place, but they say if it does, they'll be ready to do whatever is needed, and they believe the public will too.
wtok.com: Extended Web Coverage
10 Reasons to Donate Blood
- Blood transfusions save lives.
- There is no substitute for human blood.
- Every three seconds, someone needs a blood transfusion.
- About 60 percent of the population are eligible to donate blood, yet less than five percent do.
- A pint of blood, separated in to components, can help up to three people.
- You will make your community a safer place.
- Fulfills your desire to "give back" to the community.
- You will receive a mini physical (blood pressure, temperature, iron level).
- You will learn your blood type.
- It is safe, simple and it saves lives.
Who Can Donate Blood?
- Anyone who is in good health,
- At least 17 years old (persons 16 may donate with a Blood Program consent form signed by a legal guardian),
- Weighs at least 110 pounds
Source: http://188.8.131.52/donating/blood.htm (Blood Centers of the Pacific Web Site)
If you would like to donate blood or help with the donation process, visit your local American Red Cross