Five rural fire departments in Mississippi will share in about $369,000 in federal funds.
Sen. Trent Lott said the money is part of a second round of grants from the Federal Emergency Management Agency's Assistance to Firefighters program.
It will be used to purchase equipment that will make the departments more effective, help protect the firefighters themselves, provide emergency medical programs and to fund fire prevention and safety programs.
Fire departments receiving money are:
- Arlington Volunteer Fire Department, Philadelphia, $121,401
- South Volunteer Fire Department, Meridian, $24,480
- Claiborne County Fire Department, Port Gibson, $148,500
- Rosebloom Volunteer Fire Department, Cascilla, $9,450
- Kingston Volunteer Fire Department, Natchez, $65,160.