Child Support Snafu?

By  | 

Lamen Clemons's ex-wife died of cancer this past February. His two children have been living with him since she was diagnosed in October. Throughout her battle with cancer, he continued to pay child support. But since her death, nearly $1,200 of back-pay has accrued.

"I paid up until she passed unfortunately," said Clemons. "And from that point on, they've been adding and adding and adding and they won't stop. And they're emphatic about it, they will not stop until a court order is present."

Clemons needs to file a 'pro se petition' in Chancery Court so he can explain his case to a judge. But according to Clemons, that's where this becomes a sticky situation.

"Legally, that's the only way you can stop it; go in and tell your story," Clemons said. "But I can't get into court to tell the story because the court that I need to go to, doesn't accept the motion."

The State of Mississippi doesn't furnish 'pro se petitions' for Chancery Court. In order for Clemons to get his story heard, he needs to hire a lawyer to file the petition for him.

"Being honest, I really don't want to pay the money to a lawyer to stop something that should have stopped itself really," said Clemons. "That's the point that is really frustrating. When there's no one there to receive the money, why do you still get charged for it, when you've gone over and over it with them."

So Clemons will wait and see if he can get his case heard in court, while the payments add up.