House Destroyed by Fire

"That saved my life!" said Gloria Wilcocks.

She says she is lucky to be alive.

"That smoke detector was what saved my life. Without that I'd be dead," Wilcocks said.

Around 4:00 Wednesday morning Wilcocks says she was awakened to the sound of the alarm.

"The smoke was so thick that I couldn't find anything, but I knew my way around in my house and that's how I got out," said Wilcocks.

According to investigators, it appears the fire started in the attic. Upon arrival they say flames were showing.

"The flames covered the attic," said Chief Terry Arnsdorff, Clarkdale Volunteer Fire Department.

"I saw big flames in the kitchen area. I got here an hour later and so I thought it was a kitchen fire," said Donna Cooper, family friend.

"The way this place was constructed and remodeled it was tough for us. It's probably going to be a 90-percent loss. The insurance company is going to total it," Chief Arnsdorff said.

Volunteers from the Clarkdale, Rolling Creek, Stonewall and Enterprise Fire Departments all responded to the blaze. Before the roof collapsed they were able to salvage a few items from the house. With her husband away on business, Mrs. Wilcocks was the only one home. Losing almost everything, Wilcocks was asked, what's next?

"I don't know...I really don't know! I just don't know," Wilcocks said.

Anyone interested in offering assistance to the Wilcocks family is asked to call (601) 776-9131.

"This was my house and I don't have it anymore!" said Wilcocks.

The National Fire Protection Association wants you to remember these facts.

Almost half all home fires and three-fifths of fire deaths occur in homes with no detectors.

Your chances of dying in a home fire are cut in half if you have a working smoke detector.

There are more homes with smoke detectors that don't work than homes without any detectors at all.