Lucky's Really Lucky

Some might say "luck" was on Lucky's side when he was found late Wednesday afternoon hiding underneath a deck of a home in the small town of Shuqualak.

"When I saw him, I was kind of sure that it was him," says Greg Cotton who found Lucky.

Sure that it was him, largely from media coverage on Lucky's disappearance. Over the last two weeks he had become a familiar face in the media from fliers, to the Macon newspaper and even here on WTOK. So, why so much attention?

"When we found out how sick Max Willis was, we had to do something," says Scott Boyd who is the publisher for the "Macon Beacon" newspaper.

Max Willis is Lucky's 11-year-old owner from Ormond Beach, Florida near Daytona. Two weeks ago, Lucky was accidentally left when the family stopped over in northern Noxubee County on the way home from a cross country trip. Not only that but on that day when this happened, we're told that Max, who suffers from an inoperable brain tumor, was given only weeks to live.

With Max now sleeping most days and paralyzed on one side of his body, family members say the discovery made his day. This is one of the reasons why the man who found Lucky turned down a $1,000 reward.

"It's reward enough for me to see Max get his dog back. That's the most important thing," says Greg Cotton.

Once finding out about the discovery, two of Max's relatives drove five hours from outside Pensacola, Florida to pick up Lucky. They say it was a drive well worth it.

"I would have driven to Fargo, North Dakota to get this dog for Max. He means so much to him, and it's going to make him so happy to have ole' ‘Lucky Pupper’ back," says Bob Willis Max's grandfather.

Less than an hour after arriving, it was back on the road for Max's family. If all goes well, Max and Lucky will be reunited by this weekend.

Meanwhile, while Max's family was in Macon they experienced another tragic event. Their vehicle was burglarized at a hotel. Several cameras, pictures, knives, and Max's special treasure chest were stolen. Some of the items have been recovered, and an arrest has been made.

As if they didn't have enough to deal with, when Max's family returned home, they had another hurdle to overcome. Because of Hurricane Charley, their home was without electricity. However, we're glad to report that power has since been restored.