Fire Damages RV in Marion


Marion, Miss. The Marion Volunteer Fire Department responded to a call that came in as a structure fire with flames showing, and after they put out the fire in the rear of a camper parked at the Confederate Drive RV Park, Chief Scott Stokes says they've narrowed down the reasons that could have caused the blaze.

"The fire started in the back of the trailer in the kitchen area. It's unknown what exactly caused it, but it could be one of three things."

The person living in the trailer was not there at the time of the fire, and if it wasn't for a passer-by seeing it in its early stages, it could have been much worse and spread very quickly to other campers parked close-by.

"Somebody was driving by and reported it, called 911, and we were here within minutes and extinguished the fire."

With a large number of coal plant employees temporarily living in campers while working on the Kemper County project, Stokes says it's important to remember a few things whenever you leave an RV for any amount of time.

"Make sure that when you leave one of these campers that all the electric heaters are off. Make sure your plug-ins are in well, and don't use very cheaply made extension cords."

The owner of the camper is still trying to be located, and a truck parked next to the RV also sustained minor damage.


WTOK-TV 815 23rd Ave Meridian, Ms. 39301 Phone: (601) 693-1441
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 233483951