Immigrants' Group seeks Expanded In-State Tuition

By  | 

Jackson, Miss.

The Mississippi Immigrants Rights Alliance is asking lawmakers to approve in-state college tuition for children who graduate from high school in Mississippi after being brought to the U.S. by parents who lack proper immigration documents.

It's unclear whether there's a need for any change in state law.

The College Board handbook says in-state tuition is available to any minor who graduates from a Mississippi high school and who has lived in the state at least four years.

MIRA is also requesting that the state issue driver's licenses to all types of immigrants.