Ole Miss to Consider Installing Carbon Monoxide Monitors in Dorms

By: The Associated Press
By: The Associated Press

Oxford, Miss. A spokesman says the University of Mississippi will consider installing carbon monoxide monitors in dormitories after a student's monitor detected high levels of the harmful gas.

Firefighters evacuated dozens of students from a women's dorm, Hefley Hall, for about an hour Thursday. No one was injured.

The Clarion-Ledger reports that a parent of a dorm resident called campus authorities after the student's carbon monoxide detector sounded.

Oxford Fire Chief Cary Sallis the source of the carbon monoxide was a malfunctioning boiler.

University spokesman Danny Blanton says the dorm's carbon monoxide level was high but not dangerous. He says the university will consider installing monitors.

Carbon monoxide is an odorless gas produced by combustible engines, appliances and heating systems, and is poisonous to humans.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WTOK-TV 815 23rd Ave Meridian, Ms. 39301 Phone: (601) 693-1441
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 256836931 - wtok.com/a?a=256836931