Space Heater Recall Prompts Fire Safety Reminder

By  | 

Meridian, Miss. A recall has been issued for a brand of space heaters sold at Sears and Kmart stores due to overheating concerns.

The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission says consumers should stop using Kenmore heaters with the model number 127.90914310. The commission says broken motor mounts can result in the heaters overheating and then catching fire. The heaters can also cause burns to those sitting or standing nearby.

"Heaters generally are safe if they are used the way they are meant to be used," Meridian Fire Marshal Jason Collier says. "However, people don't use them the way they are meant to be used. And this recall, in addition to that, just increases the chance for something bad to happen."

Of course, the golden rule when it comes to using space heaters is to always make sure there is three feet surrounding the space heater.

"Space heaters need space," Collier reminds. "Never use an extension cord on a heater, they draw a lot of amps and they have a short cord for a reason. Never leave them by themselves. If you walk out of the room, unplug the heater."

Space heaters aren't the only concern when it comes to fires starting. Fire Marshal Collier tells us cooking fires are actually the number one cause of house fires. He says never under any circumstances leave your food unattended.

"Don't use your oven to heat the house," Collier warns. "Don't use boiling pots on the stove to heat a room or anything like that."

In our area, the winter months are typically the busiest months for firefighters. However, Collier says this winter has been slower than usual so far. He says this comes after a busier than normal summer.

"Now is not the time to let your guard down," Collier points out. "Keep vigilant eyes on everything."

It's also important to make sure you have a properly working smoke detector.