Eight Mississippi veterans will be added to the Wall of Honor at the VA Medical Center in Jackson.
The ceremony will be held during a Veterans Day program Friday, Nov. 9, at 11 a.m. in Montgomery Hall. The public is invited to attend.
The U.S. Marine Corps League, Department of Mississippi will have on display the 32’ memorial entitled, “The Fallen” which depicts the names and photos of over 100 Mississippi veterans who died in the War on Terror since 2001.
This first class of inductees are:
· Jack Lucas, Medal of Honor recipient, WWII, Hattiesburg, Miss.
· Arie Washington, Sr., Silver Star recipient and Montford Point Marine, WWII, Korea and Vietnam, Utica, Miss.
· Dr. John Peoples, Jr., Montford Point Marine, WWII, Starkville, Miss.
· Medgar Evers, Civil Rights Leader, WWII, Decatur, Miss.
· Charles Evers, Civil Rights Leader, WWII, Decatur, Miss.
· James Steinwinder, Ex-POW and Bronze Star recipient, WWII, Decatur, Miss.
· James Perkins, Two Purple Hearts and Chosin Reservoir survivor, Korea, DeKalb, Miss.
· Andrew Tobias, Bronze Star recipient and 50 years of Federal Service, Vietnam, Amite County, Miss.
The Wall of Honor will be a continuing tribute and recognition program to honor Mississippi veterans.
The Jackson VA Wall of Honor will be on display along the main corridor wall next to the Veterans Canteen Service Retail Store. A plaque with a framed photograph and information about the Veterans’ awards and citations will be permanently affixed on the wall after the ceremony.
Submissions may be sent any time and are being sought from individual veterans, family, friends, County Veterans Service Officers, service organizations and others.
Nomination packets can be found online. A link is provided below. Completed nomination packets should be forwarded to:
James Theres, Public Affairs Officer
G.V. (Sonny) Montgomery VA Medical Center (OO-PAO)
1500 E. Woodrow Wilson Street
Jackson, MS 39216