Officials at Amtrak say taking simple steps in advance of a trip can help passengers be better prepared for emergencies. The rail line is participating in the Ready Campaign.
Some personal safety tips when traveling include:
• Store 1-800-331-0008 in your mobile phone to reach Amtrak Police in case of emergency.
• Carry a pocket-sized copy of critical phone numbers in your wallet, briefcase or hand bag.
• If you see something unusual at rail stations or on a train, say something.
• Identify a staging area or communications plan if you become separated from your party.
• Learn where Amtrak Police are available for escort to parking garages or nearby stations.