Accidental Fire Destroys Home

By: Rachel Alig Email
By: Rachel Alig Email

A Lauderdale County family has lost its entire home due to a structure fire Sunday afternoon.

Units in Toomsuba and Lauderdale County responded to the fire on Highway 11 and 80 at roughly 1 p.m. It was located in Lauderdale County near the Alabama border. Officials with the Cuba, Alabama Fire Department assisted them in fighting the fire. The house is completely destroyed.

We talked to Allan Dover, the Lauderdale County Volunteer Fire Coordinator. He gave us details about the fire.

"Whenever they arrived here, they had approximately 50% involvement in the attack. Since then, it has totally engulfed the attack and has dropped down inside the structure. At the time of that the fire started, we had one person inside. He was able to escape the fire relatively unharmed."

Dover says the cause of the fire was accidental. It was started due to food left on the stove. Because of the high winds, he says the fire was able to spread more quickly than average.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WTOK-TV 815 23rd Ave Meridian, Ms. 39301 Phone: (601) 693-1441
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 104243803 - wtok.com/a?a=104243803
Gray Television, Inc.