The Birmingham News reported Tuesday that the parents of two cousins who died in an Alabama motel fire have filed a wrongful death lawsuit in Jefferson County Circuit Court.
The lawsuit names an owner of the Hoover Days Inn motel where the young women died, plus a maintenance man who investigators say was burning incense in his room, apparently sparking the blaze.
The four victims had come to Birmingham to shop when fire engulfed their motel Jan. 16, trapping them inside their room.
Authorities say the motel was old and lacked a sprinkler system that could have suppressed the flames.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.