Additional Bullying Allegations Surface

Billy Noble tells Newscenter 11 his 10th grade son is being bullied in the Sumter County School District and that officials have not addressed the problem.

Superintendent Katie Jones-Powell says the Sumter County School District is committed to protecting students from bullying, as the Code of Conduct states.

Noble says his 10th grade son is being bullied by school employees. Noble claims his son's bus driver hit him in the head with a school bus door, as well as dropped him off in the mud before having him suspended from the bus. Noble tells us he has approached school officials with his concerns, but he says nothing has been done.

Jones-Powell says policy states a parent must set up a meeting with the superintendent to address these type of concerns, which Jones-Powell says Noble has not done and that she has informed him of that.

"We have an open door policy to communicate with parents and the community," Jones-Powell says. "There is a procedure. That procedure has not been followed."

"Cause she did nothing the first time, nothing the second time, and she did nothing the third time," Noble says. "And there's no use in coming back to her again because she's not going to do anything."

Jones-Powell says the Sumter County School District takes every bullying case seriously and says every instance of bullying is investigated.

Noble says he is not happy with the action taken by the district so far and will hire an attorney if he does not resolve the issue with the district.

• by concerned Location: meridian on Apr 4, 2012 at 10:58 PM
    Informed ,undoubtedly you were misinformed,because my child was not this boys girlfriend,and my child is never left unsupervised,and she is in a two parent home .True we live in an apartment complex,but judge lest ye be judged .So get the facts right since your informed,cause I'm raising my kids the right way I can't help how others raise theirs!!!!!
  • by Informed Location: northeast on Apr 4, 2012 at 03:23 PM
    I am famaliar with this situation and I can tell you the school took appropriate action. They filled out a bully report and forwarded to county office administration who agreed with action of school. parents are always quick to blame the school,even when things happen away from school and get brought to the school campus. Discipline action was taken against the bully. the school questioned studetns and talked to both parents to keep them informed. The principal even worked with the mom of girl to assist her and is concerned over the girls welfare. Besides, almost all the bullying went on at the apartment complex,over of course boyfriend and girlfriend stuff. The kids were staying out at night unsupervised fussing. You can ask the people who live at Hillview.
  • by anonymous Location: meridian on Apr 4, 2012 at 01:14 PM
    My child was suspended because of something he did as a result of being bullied. The ones doing the bullying were hardly spoken to. There has been 2 ocassions on the bus of 1 boy beating 2 different students and he is still at school. Nothing is being done about this problem in Meridian.
  • by Nicki Location: Philadelphia,Ms on Apr 4, 2012 at 12:46 PM
    This is awful and schools won't address it !!! I'm going thru same thing with my child and its LOTS of children all over and it's a MAJOR issue !! I have a pentition going on www.change.org - Stop Bullying that I'm taking to school board and whenever else to have bullying addressed!!! Kids are hurting their selves because of it ! Kids as young as Kgrade. They want to say we didn't see it, Well 90% of the time bullying is not seen or heard!! They said they were going to do something with mine at NCES but no action and their won't be , I guess it's up to US as the parents because the schools have failed me !!!
  • by care 4 OUR kids on Apr 4, 2012 at 12:18 PM
    Bulling is everywhere, from the public schools to the small private schools and nothing is done about it. It seems that this major problem is not taken seriously enough by our educators. If you think it is not a problem, then perhaps, you were the bully in school or were never bullied or have never seen someone you loved bullied. My heart goes out to both "Janie and "concerned". I , too, have had to remove my child from school due to bullying. And I hear many horror stories concerning it. To concerned, please be there for your child and do what you can to get her out of that situation! Do not wait for school administration to take measures, take her out of that school, immediately!
  • by old school on Apr 4, 2012 at 08:58 AM
    whaaa whaaaa, how about like in the good old days when we just fought back. I see this story is a adult vs a teen and should be delt with another way. ever since liberals got into the school system and made it ok to be gay and other kinds of panty waist ideas, things have gone south in the way of kids learning how to tuff'in up. Back when girls were girls and boys were boys, if someone messed with you you fought back and that was it. its no wonder are world is what it is with so many confused kids and wimpy adults runing the country and raising their children to be wimpy to. so sad.
  • by Janie Location: LaGrange on Apr 4, 2012 at 04:44 AM
    Bullying is getting to be a horrible problem in our schools today. I recently removed my 7th grade son from the public school system due to bullying and the school not taking the matter serious. I felt that was my only option to protect my child.
  • by concerned Location: meridian on Apr 3, 2012 at 10:36 PM
    My child attends NEMS and she has been bullied also,so much that last week she tried to commit suicide.Nothing has been done yet,its been a lot of talk but yet to see any action!!!!!!

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 146043805 - wtok.com/a?a=146043805