Alleged Scam May Have Multiple Victims

The number of victims in an alleged roofing scam is continuing to grow.

As Newscenter 11 reported Monday, three Meridian residents are accused of swindling a Kemper County homeowner out of thousands of dollars.

Since then, claims of wrongdoing involving the three suspects have surfaced in west Alabama and Lauderdale and Clarke counties in Mississippi.

Sandra Rigney and Byron Keith Watson, both 51, along with 53-year-old Sidney Cross, of All State's Mississippi Roofing, are charged with false pretense for allegedly operating a roofing company that took money from customers but did not complete the work.

In searching the Internet Tuesday, Newscenter 11 found several sites listing the company. One was located in Collinsville. At that area, we did find a 1-800 number. When we called the number, it was not a roofing company.

We decided to go to the address listed for the Collinsville location, and talked off-camera with the owner who says for almost six months last year, he rented the house to individuals to use to operate All State Mississippi's Roofing Company.

He said the renters caused quite a bit of damage and left owing him a large sum of money.

During our search, we found another address for the company near the Navy base. After searching for more than an hour, chief photographer, Sidney Luvene, never found the address and base officials say no one affiliated with the base ever rented anything to the company.

So, it was back to calling the five phone numbers for the company that we found. One by one, we received the same response, a recording that the number is not in service.

We also discovered a commercial that the company had posted on YouTube: "For all of your roofing needs, call the experts with over 30 years experience serving all of Mississippi and west Alabama."

In light of this case, local law enforcement reminds consumers to use caution.

"Get everything in writing," said Lauderdale County Chief Deputy Ward Calhoun. "Try to get at least two quotes. And do business with who you've done business with before or you have a family, friend or neighbor who can be a good referral for them."

If you think you were scammed by these three or their company, investigators advise that you contact your local authorities.

• by kelsey Location: newton ms on Apr 15, 2012 at 02:04 PM
    my parents did not comit a crime yall little liars im only 12
  • by Betty Location: Clarke County, MS on Feb 23, 2012 at 05:13 PM
    I believe these two were on drugs when they put a roof on my home. I still have the papers. They kept saying they didn't include something in the contract and wanted more money from me. They never put in a full days work and the only reason I think they completed the job was because they thought I was going to let them put a roof on my rental house as well. They even borrowed a ladder "for a day" from my sister who has Alheimer's while I was gone. The only way I got the ladder back was my friend saw them at a local store with the ladder in the truck and she retrieved it for me. That was almost a month later. I have had several leaks and found out that they did not install the roof securely. The woman asked to use the bathroom and then made herself at home. They even came back a time or two wanted to know if I had any jobs they could do because they needed money for their children who were with them. Of course I told them "no".
  • by Man on the Street Location: Meridian on Feb 23, 2012 at 07:28 AM
    In the wake of Hurricane Katrina these folks were arrested numerous times in Lauderdale county and Meridian for home repair fraud. This isn't new for them, they will go to jail, get out, and be back up to their old tricks.
      by Betty on Feb 23, 2012 at 05:15 PM in reply to Man on the Street
      They have already done this in the past; I just found out too late.
  • by James on Feb 22, 2012 at 08:09 AM
    In noting the convincing slick" ad in the phone book was nothing but a scam, I am reminded of instances where I have personally ran across individuals advertising their repair services and listing convincing training,experience,certification and bonding qualifications that were bogus. I have been "ripped off" more than once by shoddy and incomplete, downright incompetent repair work by individuals who either didn't know what they were doing or else figured I wouldn't know the difference if they did shoddy work or covered up something they didn't do that was supposed to be done. One home repair contractor estimated a repair cost of $6,000 to repair wood rot damage to the floors of two rooms in my house, when the work was done (in less than two hours by a come-and-go crew,) I was told told one room estimated as needing repair didn't need repair after all, but I was charged for the original $6,000 estimate anyway--and to add insult to injury I was told when they finished that they wanted cash, not a check. When a termite inspector later made his inspection under my house, I had to remove myself the discarded wood that repair service left on the gound, plus I had to buy a metal floor jack to replace a 2 x6 piece of wood stuck between a floor beam and the bare ground used to prop up the beam. I suppose I deserved a "stupid award" for letting that contractor get away with that,but it shows this matter AIN'T an isolated instance, it appears to me that it is going on all over town. Part of the cost overrun and delay in restoring the City Hall? Having to go back in an "fix" substandard work by contractors who did lousy work!
  • by podunk punk Location: knee deep in junk on Feb 21, 2012 at 05:36 PM
    Allstate's Mississippi's Meth Amphetamine Manufacturers Zombies are not roofing contractors,but they will take your money to buy "materials"
      by Betty on Feb 23, 2012 at 05:14 PM in reply to podunk punk
      That's the truth; I always thought they were on drugs when they did my roof.
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 139903693 - wtok.com/a?a=139903693