Last year the Mississippi Poison Prevention Center handled more than 20,000 cases and recorded 17 deaths due to poisoning. The most common victims are children two to five-years-old.
Some of the most common causes included medicine or household products that were misused. These products included things such as glass cleaners, which can adversely affect the central nervous system; mothballs, which can cause seizures and nail polish remover, which contains acetone.
"For one thing it's flammable and it causes burns and if enough of it is consumed it can cause death," said Bert Turcotte who is the emergency room director at Riley Hospital.
Turcotte says the danger of some plants is something, which people should keep in mind. For instance he says if eaten by babies, some plants can cause painful irritation to the mouth and stomach.
If you think your child has ingested a household product but you are not sure, healthcare officials say you can look for some signs.
"You can look in their mouth to look for redness, burned areas or smell their breathe to see if they've ingested these items," said Turcotte.
To safety proof your home Turcotte says you should use special latches to lock cabinets and doors; put all medicine or dangerous household products out of the reach of children; always leave products in the containers which you buy them and never leave a child alone with a household product which could be dangerous.
If you or someone you love ingest a dangerous household substance, you are advised to call the National Posion Hotline at 1-800-222-1222 as soon as possible.
"It could be the difference between life or death or a long term illness!" said Turcotte.
wtok.com: Extended Web Coverage
Poison Prevention Tips
Source: http://www.nlm.nih.gov (National Institute of Health Web site) contributed to this report.