The former investigator in the Natalee Holloway case says his son might have falsely accused a man arrested and released in the case.
Gerold Dompig, a former Aruban investigator in the Natalee Holloway disappearance, said his son's accusations against Geoffrey van Cromvoirt went out of control.
The 19-year-old van Cromvoirt was released Monday after being held for more than a week for questioning.
Aruban authorities say he remains a suspect in the May 30, 2005, disappearance of the Clinton, Mississippi, native.
Dompig, in an interview with The Birmingham News, said his 19-year-old son Michael became confused and frustrated, responding with rumors he'd heard about van Cromvoirt. The elder Dompig said things "went too far."
Dompig, who was taken off the case earlier this month, said he asked to be removed because of rumors involving his family.
Holloway, of Mountain Brook, Ala., was 18 when she vanished the final night of her high school graduation trip to the Dutch Caribbean Island.