There's an urgent medical need in east Mississippi, according to united blood services.
The agency has put out a notice that the need for O-negative blood is at a critical level.
Donors may give blood at:
The United Blood Services Office
1115 25th Avenue
Monday through Thursday: 9:00 a.m.- 6:00 p.m.
Fridays: 9:00 a.m.- 4:00 p.m.
Donating usually takes about 30 minutes.
wtok.com Extended Web Coverage
10 Reasons to Donate Blood:
- Blood transfusions save lives.
- There is no substitute for human blood.
- Every three seconds, someone needs a blood transfusion.
- About 60 percent of the population are eligible to donate blood, yet less than five percent do.
- A pint of blood, separated in to components, can help up to three people.
- You will make your community a safer place.
- Fulfills your desire to "give back" to the community.
- You will receive a mini physical (blood pressure, temperature, iron level).
- You will learn your blood type.
- It is safe, simple and it saves lives.
Who Can Donate Blood?
- Anyone who is in good health,
- At least 17 years old (persons 16 may donate with a Blood Program consent form signed by a legal guardian),
- Weighs at least 110 pounds
Source: http://22.214.171.124/donating/blood.htm (Blood Centers of the Pacific Web Site)
If you would like to donate blood or help with the donation process, visit your local American Red Cross