A house fire in hickory has claimed the life of Jamien Wash, age 5.
His mother and four other children who lived at the brick house on Martin Luther King Avenue were able to escape the blaze.
Hickory's assistant police chief, Dan Hurst, said the accidental fire apparently started in the kitchen around 9:00 a.m. Saturday.
"The state fire marshal came out and determined that it was somewhere near the stove. He hasn't got an exact cause of the fire yet," said Hurst. "When I got there, it was fully involved and everyone that was out was out. And there was pretty much nothing anybody else could do."
The family is now staying with relatives.
A house next door was also damaged by the heat of the fire. The Hickory and Chunky Volunteer Fire Departments responded to the scene.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.