Newton County has been added to the federal disaster declaration related to an outbreak of tornadoes in Mississippi last month. An EF2 tornado struck the county Apr. 28.
Several homes and businesses in and around Decatur were damaged.
Jones and Leake counties have also been approved for Public Assistance.
Nine Mississippi counties are now eligible for all categories of Public Assistance, which provides assistance to state, tribal and local governments, as well as certain non-profit organizations.
Itawamba, Lee, Lowndes, Rankin, Wayne and Winston counties were previously declared for categories A and B, but have been granted all categories of Public Assistance. Madison County was declared for categories A and B only.
Jones, Leake and Newton counties have been granted all categories of Public Assistance.
The Public Assistance categories are as follows:
* Category A: Debris Removal.
* Category B: Emergency Protective Measures.
* Category C: Roads and Bridges.
* Category D: Water Control Facilities.
* Category E: Buildings and Equipment.
* Category F: Utilities.
* Category G: Parks, Recreational Facilities and Other Items.
The Public Assistance Grant Program through the Federal Emergency Management Agency is a reimbursement grant program paid to state, tribal and local governments, and certain non-profit groups. Typically, the federal share is 75 percent, and the remaining non-federal share of 25 percent is shared between the state and local governments at a rate of 12.5 percent respectively. Eligible private non-profit groups are responsible for the full 25 percent.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.