Fire Damages USM Dorm

By: The Associated Press
By: The Associated Press

Hattiesburg Fire Department and campus police responded to an electrical fire in the Hillcrest Residence Hall on the University of Southern Mississippi campus.

Residents were evacuated Thursday night and no one was injured.

University police say the fire, located in an unoccupied suite on the second floor, started in a combination fan/light fixture that shorted out. The fire was contained to the bathroom area, causing extensive wall and ceiling damage.

About 200 residents were evacuated from the building at 7 p.m. and allowed to return about an hour later.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WTOK-TV 815 23rd Ave Meridian, Ms. 39301 Phone: (601) 693-1441
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 52193772 - wtok.com/a?a=52193772