Wilie Lee and his family used to consider 6302 Shady Pine their home. But a house fire has forced them out. Before arriving back home from an out of town trip to Birmingham, Alabama, Lee received a phone call that no one ever wants to get.
"Friday morning about ten o'clock, my neighbor across the street gave me a call. I was out of town in Birmingham," said Lee.
That neighbor told Wille Lee that his house was on fire. From the outside, damage doesn't appear to bad. The inside is a different story. Firefighters told Lee repairs just wouldn't be possible.
"Well the way they talked, they said right now it's going to be a total loss," Lee described.
What once was a beautiful home is now nothing but a burnt mess. Home for the Lee family is a hotel. Now Lee is thankful for the temporary home. As of right now, he and his family are staying in two hotel rooms together. Space is hard to come by with a wife and four children to take care of.
"It's hectic with four small kids," commented Lee.
The small space is something the Lee family has been adjusting to. The hardest part is not knowing when they'll have a permanent place to go back to. The children just want to stay in a bed that they can call home.
"Daddy, when are we going to go home?". That's the question Lee said his children keep asking. Lee may not be able to answer that question right now, but he has been offered help from the American Red Cross. His friends and family have also been there for support.
"For clothing I had a couple of friends come through and they helped me financially. So beyond that, I'm just praying about it." said Lee.
Lee and his family say they realize they only have a temporary home. They are just grateful for the shelter.