A Meridian family is picking up the pieces after losing everything in a fire at their home over the weekend.
The fire happened Saturday night at a home in the 1400 block of 16th Street. A space heater is believed to be the cause.
No one was seriously injured, but the family has a lot of work to do putting their lives back together. The air still smells of smoke from the fire that engulfed the house.
It was the second fire in this area this year, and was across the street from a vacant house that burned this past spring.
"We were in the house sleeping. We pulled up a space heater. My heater was on in my room, and I heard something pop," said Betty Johnson. "When I got up, it was already burning. And then when I opened the door up, it just exploded really fast."
Johnson lived there with her daughter and three grandchildren, the youngest of whom is just two years old.
She says other than a few bruises and cuts she received, no one was injured. But she lost her possession.
"I'm very thankful that we got out," said Johnson. "Everyone got out safe, and I thank God for everything. And we're doing the best we can do. We're going to make it through it. I want to thank the people who have been supportive of me. I want to thank my pastor and church members who have been supportive of me and helping me out. I want to thank Red and Pumpkin also."
For now, Johnson said she and her family hope to move in with her daughter-in-law in Meridian.
The family has received some temporary emergency assistance through the Red Cross Key Chapter. If you'd like to help local fire victims, you may do so by donating to its disaster fund. Information is available at 601-485-5151.