Mississippi Man Dies on Hunting Trip

By: The Associated Press
By: The Associated Press

Authorities say a Pearl man died of carbon monoxide poisoning while on a weekend hunting trip in Sharkey County.

Coroner Angelia Eason tells the Vicksburg Post that the body of Justin Morris was found Sunday inside a boxed-in trailer about two miles off U.S. Highway 61.

Sheriff Lindsey Adams, Jr., said Morris was camping with his brother, Joshua Morris, also of Pearl.

Adams says Joshua Morris was taken to a hospital and treated for carbon monoxide inhalation.

Eason says the carbon monoxide came from coals that had been lit Saturday on a grill inside the trailer for warmth.

Adams says an uncle contacted authorities when calls to the Morris' phones went unanswered Sunday.


You must be logged in to post comments.

Username:
Password (case sensitive):
Remember Me:

Read Comments

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
  • by DOUS Location: JACKSON on Jan 11, 2010 at 04:12 PM
    I GREW UP WITH JUSTIN AND HAVE LOTS OF GOOD MEMORIES THAT I WILL NEVER FORGET , WISH I HAD KEPT IN TOUCH. AND I ALSO KNOW FOR A FACT LAURA THAT JUSTIN IS NOT A REDNECK AND ACCIDENTS DO HAPPEN IN THIS WORLD. HOPE I NEVER SEE U CAUSE EVERY TIME I HEAR THE NAME LAURA I WILL ASK IF THERE FROM MERIDIAN. MY PRAYERS GO TO HIS FAMILY IM SORRY JUSTIN YOU WILL NOT BE FORGOTTEN RIP
  • by linda lou Location: county on Dec 31, 2009 at 02:53 PM
    I think Laura just doesn't like people that hunt, and that's where her redneck comments are coming from. Rude and ignorant, Laura!! My heart goes out to the family and friends of this man, I'm sorry for your loss.
  • by C Location: Meridian on Dec 29, 2009 at 07:40 AM
    Laura, You really should think about what you say before you open your mouth and insert your foot. I think your words were hurtful and inconsiderate to a family who has been devastated with grief. Namecalling is for children. Maybe you should read the definition of redneck. I agree with Connie, instead of posting critical information about this family maybe you should pray for them instead; I know I am. red·neck [ réd nèk ] (plural red·necks) noun Definition: 1. an offensive term for a white farm hand in the southern United States, especially one regarded as uneducated or aggressively prejudiced 2. an offensive term for somebody who is opposed to liberal social changes, especially somebody regarded as prejudiced
  • by Jason Location: Clinton on Dec 28, 2009 at 07:42 PM
    Justin was a good friend of mine. Neither he nor his brother were red necks. they simply liked to hunt. His brother is fine by the way. Just extremely heartbroken as is his wife. So to Laura I say, shut your mouth. You have no clue how ignorant you truely sound by calling them red necks. If you knew them then you would have room to open and speak but you do not so think twice at who might come across and read a comment of such deep stupidity. His family and friends all have read your comments and to put it nicely, let's just say be glad none of us can find you thru the web. And thank you to all of you who send your sympathy. It is appreciated. We love you Justin.
  • by Denise Location: Pearl on Dec 28, 2009 at 07:13 PM
    As the sister of these men, I have to say that I hope that Josh never reads this page. If u think that he doesn't realize the mistake they made, you're wrong. They were not stupid redneck hunters, they made a mistake,like we all do. Not everyone knows that charcoal puts off carbon monoxide. And if u think that they would have knowingly done this, then u need to turn ur own stupidity remarks back on u. We just celebrated our Christmas without the lively person who made our family functions unique and fun. I can only hope that u don't suffer the loss that we have. People should not comment on things they know nothing about and should think before they write. If this had happened to u, would want to read ur comment? I could have written a whole lot of other things that were not nice. If I can restrain myself so can u. We should be picking people up in their time of need not tearing their loved ones down. This is hard enough without people calling them stupid, it's not very christian-like.
  • by CONNIE Location: JACKSON on Dec 28, 2009 at 12:22 PM
    TO LAURA, YOU DICUSSED THEIR MENTALITY,WHAT ABOUT HOSPITALITY? LAST I CHECKED THIS WAS THE HOSPITALITY STATE.ALSO,WHAT ABOUT RESPECT FOR THE DEAD?DID YOU STOP TO THINK THAT THIS WAS NOT JUST A MAN ,THIS WAS A HUSBAND, A FATHER, A SON, A BROTHER, A COACH TO HIS SONS FOOTBALL TEAM, WHO INFLUENCED MANY YOUNG BOYS LIVES! ALSO, GOD FORBID YOU LOSE SOMEONE WHO YOU LOVE, THE LAST THING YOU WOULD WANT TO SEE IN YOUR TIME OF GREIF TO READ SOMETHING HURTFUL. YOU SAID IN YOUR COMMENT YOU WERE TRULY SORRY FOR THE FAMILY. IF SO PLEASE STOP WHAT YOU ARE DOING AND SAY A PRAYER FOR THEM! AFTER READING YOUR COMMENT I SAID ONE FOR YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WITH MUCH RESPCT A FRIEND OF THE FAMILY
  • by Trey Location: Lauderdale on Dec 28, 2009 at 07:55 AM
    Laura, What does the "hunting mentality" have to do with what these guys did? They could of just said they were camping overnight. It just boils down to stupidity for lighting a charcol fire indoors. I pray the brother recovers.
  • by Carl Location: PHILLY on Dec 28, 2009 at 07:41 AM
    Laura, i can tell you are broken up about this man's death. But can you are some one define what a red neck is,it seems to me if you are a red neck your life is worth less than most outher people. JESUS came to save red necks also. Thats why we celibate christmas, jesus the reson for the seson.
  • by David Location: Stonewall on Dec 27, 2009 at 11:41 AM
    To Laura: if you were really sorry for the hunters family you would have not left a stupid comment like that. All hunters are not rednecks as you stated. If it were not for hunters the deer population would run rampit in this state. The hunter had probably been lighting charcoal for years and it finally got him. I am sorry for this man and his family. Let this be a lesson to everyone that thinks lighting charcoal to keep warm inside of an enclosed space will have dreadfull consequences.
  • by Laura Location: Meridian on Dec 27, 2009 at 06:00 AM
    I really am sorry that the hunter died of carbon monoxide poisoning on his weekend hunting trip---I truly am, BUT didn't he and his redneck hunting brother realize that you don't light something like they lit inside their trailer and not expect consequences? The hunting mentality is something I just don't understand.
WTOK-TV 815 23rd Ave Meridian, Ms. 39301 Phone: (601) 693-1441
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 80091552 - wtok.com/a?a=80091552
Gray Television, Inc.