Lawsuit Filed over Deadly Motel Fire

By: The Associated Press
By: The Associated Press

The Birmingham News reported Tuesday that the parents of two cousins who died in an Alabama motel fire have filed a wrongful death lawsuit in Jefferson County Circuit Court.

The lawsuit names an owner of the Hoover Days Inn motel where the young women died, plus a maintenance man who investigators say was burning incense in his room, apparently sparking the blaze.

The four victims had come to Birmingham to shop when fire engulfed their motel Jan. 16, trapping them inside their room.

Authorities say the motel was old and lacked a sprinkler system that could have suppressed the flames.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WTOK-TV 815 23rd Ave Meridian, Ms. 39301 Phone: (601) 693-1441
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 82697982