Robinson in Kemper County Courtroom

Virginia Robinson appeared in Kemper County Justice Court Tuesday, requesting that three of the more than 170 dogs taken from her Mar. 9 be returned.

Officials took the animals from her, due to the deplorable condition of her property.

A Kemper County Judge denied Robinson's request. Justice Court Judge Mary Gully said she denied it, based on expert witnesses who testified. One of those was Dr. Mary Fooshee, a veterinarian with the Mississippi Animal Rescue League. She was one of the first to survey the site on the day of the seizure.

"When I walked in and there were dead animals in the house, and feces this thick, packed. So, I told the judge not only did I not think the animals needed to be returned to her, I did not think she needs to live in that house," said Dr. Fooshee. "It's dangerous. It needs to be torn down."

During court proceedings, Robinson told officials that the outside of the house looked the way it did, because about a month leading up to the seizure, it had rained almost every day. As for the inside, she says it no longer looks the way it did the day of the seizure.

Dr. Fooshee and another witness from the Humane Society of the United States testified that most of the dogs had the mange.

"I bet 98% of them did and the other 2% just weren't showing it yet," said Fooshee. "Any animals that stayed in that house any period of time already have lung damage."

Following the judge's ruling Newscenter 11 attempted to speak with Robinson, asking if she had anything to say.

"No, ma'am, because you won't tell the truth. They just took my dogs, based on lies," said Robinson.

"I believe in the beginning her heart was in the right place," said Fooshee. "It's just gone completely out of control."


You must be logged in to post comments.

Username:
Password (case sensitive):
Remember Me:

Read Comments

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
  • by Anonymous on Mar 24, 2010 at 12:31 PM
    woof woof
  • by Anonymous on Mar 24, 2010 at 10:27 AM
    she is obviously not stable...And the conditions she was living in I understand was horrible...She needs to be put away herself
  • by Animal Lover Location: Meridian on Mar 24, 2010 at 09:15 AM
    This lady clearly has some type of mental ailment. I really hope her family takes her for psychiatric evaluation. I really feel she meant well, but had other things going on that caused her to make poor decisions as far as those animals were concerned.
  • by brooke Location: meridian on Mar 24, 2010 at 06:21 AM
    I am an animal lover! As much as it breaks my heart to think about animals being put to sleep in shelters, I find comfort in knowing that it is just that. They go to sleep. In my eyes, that is much better than being sick with respiratory or skin disease and suffering from not being treated. There is no telling how much these animals suffered while in her "care". Would you allow your pet to live in these conditions and think it is ok???? Maybe she meant well but at a certain point you have to see that you are not making progress.
  • by Anonymous on Mar 23, 2010 at 10:38 PM
    "It's finally over. Next step is push that house down. Now I'm going to pray she get the help she needs" Unfortunately, it's not over yet; she's already started collecting dogs again. She has a adult dog & its puppies now living in the house with her. Hopefully, the sheriff will remove those as well - and quickly! Unless the court demands she not have anymore animals, EVER, this isn't going to stop.
  • by Anonymous on Mar 23, 2010 at 10:29 PM
    Posted by: Anonymous on Mar 23, 2010 at 09:41 PM "do you now what happen to animals in shelters? They hold for a certain period of time and if no one adopts them they kill them..thats murder" Are you suggesting that the dogs should have stayed at Raven's Hope to die of starvation & neglect as an innumerable amount of animals there already have???
  • by Anonymous Location: Preston on Mar 23, 2010 at 08:32 PM
    It's finally over. Next step is push that house down. Now I'm going to pray she get the help she needs.
  • by Anonymous on Mar 23, 2010 at 07:41 PM
    do you now what happen to animals in shelters? They hold for a certain period of time and if no one adopts them they kill them..thats murder
  • by Anonymous on Mar 23, 2010 at 04:43 PM
    Jennifer: Most of the animals have been moved to other shelters out of state. Some are still under vet care.
  • by Anonymous on Mar 23, 2010 at 04:26 PM
    mmm no heart in this was all about money animals were a means to an end... the house will be condemned and taken down as it is unfit..
  • Page:
WTOK-TV 815 23rd Ave Meridian, Ms. 39301 Phone: (601) 693-1441
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 88960287 - wtok.com/a?a=88960287
Gray Television, Inc.