Firefighters responded to a fire at a Meridian apartment complex Friday morning.
Eight units were destroyed, four downstairs and four upstairs.
The fire at Village Apartments, 2015 Mosby Road, happened around 3:15 a.m.
"Everyone in the building was just beating on everybody's doors saying, 'Get out! Get out, the building is on fire!'" said fire victim Shametrise Watson.
Watson and her five children lived in a downstairs apartment. There appears to be not much left for her and seven other families.
"Everything's gone. We have nothing," said Wilson.
"I ran through the apartment first because I thought maybe it was my apartment on fire," said Marion Smith, a neighbor. "And so I ran to the door and I opened the door and you couldn't see nothing but black smoke."
Once the fire was discovered, many of the affected residents ran to a nearby store.
"I just wanted to get help to them because they were coming out barefoot, children, and it was cold. It was just hysterical. A mess," said Alexis Lee, who works at the store.
According to apartment officials, only one unit which had 8 apartments was damaged by the fire.
"Right now we're looking at, like, four were heavily damaged on the top, and we don't know about the four on the bottom," said site manager Peggy Jones. "It does not look like they had much damage to them."
Jones says the lower apartments suffered mainly water and smoke damage.
Because of the overall severity of the fire. she says it will likely be several months before the affected apartments can reopen.