Changes Made to Riley Center Schedule

Country legend George Jones will perform May 12 at the MSU Riley Center in downtown Meridian. The show starts at 7:30 p.m., with a pre-show party in the Grand Lobby at 6 p.m.

Jones' string of almost 150 hit songs date back to 1955 with “Why Baby Why” and includes such classics as “She Thinks I Still Care,” “The Race Is On,” “Walk Through This World With Me,” “The Grand Tour” and “He Stopped Loving Her Today".

At 79, he still plays 60 shows a year and still immerses himself in each song with heart-tugging intensity.

Country star Sara Evans will kick off the Spring/Summer Series with a concert Friday, Mar. 4, at 7:30 p.m. and with a pre-show party at 6 p.m.

Evans has topped the country charts with “No Place That Far,” “Born to Fly,” “Suds in the Bucket” and “A Real Fine Place to Start".

Evans scored a hit single late last year with the getting-over-heartbreak ballad “A Little Bit Stronger,” co-written by Hillary Scott of the hugely popular country trio Lady Antebellum. Also last year, Evans won her first Dove Award in the gospel-music field for her contribution to the album Glory Revealed II: The Word of God in Worship.

These two shows replace scheduled performances by Randy Travis and Willie Nelson, which were canceled not long after the line-up was announced. Riley Center officials attributed the cancellations to changing tour schedules for Travis and Nelson.

Officials also announced that the Bruce Hornsby concert, which had been scheduled for Saturday, April 30, has been moved to Thursday, April 28.

For more information, contact the MSU Riley Center Box Office at
601-696-2200.

• by supporter Location: Meridian area on Jan 30, 2011 at 05:43 AM
    At nearly every show I've attended, there are folks in jeans and some dressed for Sunday. Nobody thinks anything about it or even cares! Anyone who says that the majority of the crowds are snobs has obviously never been. Peabody is right--the RC is hardly a dump. It has been beautifully restored to original period. Patron is right also about CAVE people. That's a perfect and accurate label to hang on them.
  • by Peabody Location: Valley Road on Jan 28, 2011 at 11:18 PM
    While the RC is not my cup of tea as nothing so far has made me want to buy a ticket I know most who attend are not snobs. I have found that someone in blue jeans and a t-shirt can get along just fine with folks in fancy dress with a little bit of politeness and proper respect.I mean proper respect as acting decent for the venue as this is not your local redneck bar( which I am probably a customer of) or pasture party. If this place is a "dump" I would love to see where you go,PLEASE post the location.While as yet I haven't spent money there it is far from bad for this city.If you don't love it you can at least respect it.
  • by Patron Location: Meridian on Jan 28, 2011 at 04:55 PM
    Shoudda know an article like this would bring out the CAVE people (Citizens Against Virtually Everything). These folks are the very ones who gripe about "nothin' to do" in Meridian. And then when we do have something as nice as the RC, they bash it. I've been to many performances and haven't encountered a single snob anywhere in the place. Been to only one performance that I can say I didn't like. Often unknowns turn out to be as good as (or better) than big name talent. I believe the RC is good for Meridian-people come from neighboring states to see shows. School children get to sit in a fine theater and see professionally performed entertainment and be exposed to the arts. Drumline last night was one of the best live performances I've ever seen--as the show progressed, the performers' energy seemed to grow exponentially and the crowd ate it up! For a place like Meridian, a Grand Opera House is unique, but I suspect the CAVE people won't be satisfied with anything, and that is sad!
  • by MOM on Jan 28, 2011 at 03:37 PM
    I can't wait for them to close that dump either. It has caused nothing but trouble. Blue-haired thugs hanging around downtown just looking for a rumble.
  • by wow Location: Meridian on Jan 28, 2011 at 11:03 AM
    I can't wait for them to close that dump.
  • by At (at moose) on Jan 28, 2011 at 10:35 AM
    Yawn! Thanks for your sermon...
  • by At Moose on Jan 27, 2011 at 04:56 PM
    ["If you are intimidated by the people at the Riley Center you really are sad. Maybe you should consider medication or grow a set."] Are you for real? Just because some people don't like to be around snobs doesn't mean THEY should be the ones on meds. In fact, the other is probably closer to the truth... the snobs are on the "elite" meds. It's a matter of preference, not a matter of medication or intimidation or whatever. You are the pitiful one to even consider this as an option. Get real! Well said Melanie. Going to Branson or Vegas or Radio City Music Hall is making the events happen on your time & at your price range, not whenever someone decides that they might get a performance, oops, not, yes, well maybe, oh no... However, if something comes along that I would be interested in seeing, I wouldn't mind paying the price or sitting next to whomever, I've done it before & can/will do it again.
  • by Moose on Jan 27, 2011 at 03:09 PM
    If you are intimidated by the people at the Riley Center you really are sad. Maybe you should consider medication or grow a set. I can't believe "snobs" in the audience would keep anyone away.....pitiful.
  • by Melanie on Jan 27, 2011 at 02:03 PM
    There are probably some snobs at the Riley Center shows, but I wouldn't let it stop me from going to see what interests me. I have enjoyed down home entertainment there, like the Gatlin Brothers and Vicki Lawrence as "Mama", the great actor Hal Holbrook as Mark Twain, and The Smothers Brothers. I go to as many shows as my budget and interest allow. No one should think they'll feel out of place. If you see something you like and can afford it, please go. The Riley Center is for everyone. But they have to pay the artists, so, yes, it will cost more than a movie. But art, theatre and music are for everybody. If you can, save a little money at a time and treat yourself to a show. It's worth it. But if that kind of entertainment is not your thing, that's also fine. You don't have to knock it. But the Riley Center being in existence is good for this community.
  • by I only wish on Jan 27, 2011 at 08:20 AM
    For John, Yes, I've been to Branson a few times & really enjoy the shows there at reasonably rated prices. Sandi Patty, you can't get any better than that & Pierce Arrow to name a couple. Off season & you don't have the seasonal problems & downtown Meridian at night, [really] I'd rather NOT! I know how you feel Sharon...
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 114592764 - wtok.com/a?a=114592764