Tribal Chief Election A Week Away

For a second time in two months, the Mississippi Band of Choctaw Indians will be casting ballots for chief of the tribe Sept. 6..

The regular election was held June 14,. Then a runoff between incumbent Beasley Denson and challenger Phyliss Anderson July 5 resulted in Anderson winning.

But because of alleged voting irregularities in the June 14 elections, all the results for chief and two council seats were thrown out. Now new elections are being held in those three races.

Anderson and Denson are candidates for chief again, along with Shirley Berg.

Just over a week ago, Denson invited Anderson and Berg to a debate. Anderson declined.

"It was something that he was going to sponsor," said Anderson. "If there had been someone to sponsor it neutrally, then I may have agreed to it."

Throughout the course of the campaign and while meeting with tribal members at community gatherings, Anderson says she has made it clear that she has serious concerns about the way tribal administration is handling business.

"We have to tell tribal members the truth about our financial matters and that has not been happening," Anderson said.

However, according to Miko Beasley Denson, the tribe has nothing to hide. Days after the July 5 runoff, the FBI raided the offices of Pearl River Resort and allegedly took away documents and computer hard drives.

Since then, reports have surfaced that Moody's Investors Service downgraded $200 million in securities borrowed by the tribal resort's development enterprise to junk bond status.

"We have to work with our creditors, the bond holders, as well as the banks," said Anderson. "I feel that refinancing is not going to be an easy task, but it's something that's doable. It's something we must do and will do."

If elected, Anderson says she will work to strengthen the relationship the tribe has with state and federal officials, while severing its ties with others such as Mercury Gaming and the Titan Agency.

Mercury Gaming is based out of Atlanta. The Titan Agency is its marketing arm. In recent years the tribe has worked closely with the developer to further boost business.

Meanwhile, with elections a week away Anderson says precautions are being taken by all involved.

"I understand that the League of Women Voters has been contracted to come here, by the administration, and so even with that we will have our own poll watchers coming in to watch from our campaign," said Anderson.

Berg is also expected to have poll watchers at precincts next Tuesday. In last month's runoff, Anderson defeated Denson by more than 350 votes.

• by To Selah on Sep 7, 2011 at 06:59 PM
    Thank you anonymous for validating those rallies at the convention center. Like what a lot of us witnessed was never meant to exist. Yep, Wilma and Eddie tossed out the balls in the crowd. And when people won the prizes they had to say into the microphone who they supported. One girl said I don't know and Wilma didn't look too happy. Hahaha. The girl looked like she wasn't even old enough to vote and so Wilma asked who's your grandma? Haha. Also at that rally, Beasley said the kids will have drawings for $50 so the kids rushed to the front of the stage and then Beasley wanted a moment of silence then he told the kids to be quiet and he's for spanking kids, then he told them to go register to win with Angela at the other side of the convention center. Don't hype kids if you want a moment of silence. I'm so glad over 2,000 voters wanted him out!! Enough of his lies and people like Selah that stand for him. So happy! :)
  • by Samuel L Mingo Location: Choctaw, Ms on Sep 6, 2011 at 08:30 AM
    Beasleys campaign and group didn't start this mess, it was the Phyliss and Kevin groups that decided to make this ugly. When you point the finger you have 3 pointing right back at you. You all just wanna talk like you know something, but all any of you have done is repeat what someone else said. I got off my rear end and did some actual research. just about about all of you cant say the same. You would rather believe what someone whispers in your ear then to go see it with your own eyes. You can keep talking all the smack you guys do because at the end of the day I know solid fact that I'm right. Nothing to argue
      by "IJS" on Sep 6, 2011 at 01:04 PM in reply to Samuel L Mingo
      You need to shut up already. Everywhere I look you are there over doing it trying to make yourself seem important. Like your privileged when all you are is someone looking to score more brownie points. Everyone's patients Is wearing thin with you. You seem like an fella till you open your mouth or your fingers touch a keyboard, but your one of those people that will never see the light because you've been blinded by corrupted influences. You're the type of person that will never give up in trying to shine a turd. No matter how good you shine it or dress it up it's still a turd. For the love of god, please keep your keyboard cowboy mentality to yourself.
  • by Earthly Blooming Location: PR on Sep 5, 2011 at 03:44 PM
    Well, tha rally at RW was not good at all. All Beasley is just doing is attacking Phyliss, not the other candidate Shirley B. If he can critisize the candidate like that, then he critisizing US Choctaws for the MBCI. And on one page he has said the Phyliss stole Lola Parkerson's title for Choctaw Indian Princess.....Lola, ___ ____ __ ________ ___ ___ _______...so it's your fault. the title was then given to Phyliss because of YOUR mistake. So quit being childish and grow up. Tomorrow, I would like for all you Choctaws to go out and vote for Phyliss J. Anderson. She has ran a clean campaign, no negative speeches just relating to what she can do better for our Tribe. So, please Vote for Phyliss!!!
      by Anonymous on Sep 5, 2011 at 08:46 PM in reply to Earthly Blooming
      And what did she say that she can do better. Please enlightenment me before I vote tomorrow.
  • by Realist on Sep 5, 2011 at 11:16 AM
    Flashback...Choctaw Central Graduating Class of 1969, Beasley Denson was not the sharpest knife in the drawer. 42 years later...he hasn't changed, in my opinion.
  • by Realist on Sep 5, 2011 at 10:56 AM
    Beasley Denson will never get a vote from me. He has shown he has no respect for women. I see how he treats his wife and his ____ _____. He can talk all he wants about his family etc...but actions speak louder than words. Our tribe needs a strong, intelligent, sober leader.
  • by Realist on Sep 5, 2011 at 10:38 AM
    I am offended by Beasley implying that Phyllss was just a receptionist for Chief Martin. Does he even know what a secretarial job entails?? I don't know where he's been, or maybe he's been distracted by "extra curricular" activities, but Phyliss has been involved in tribal government for at least 30 years. We need to elect someone who will have a sober thought and behavior. Gender is not the issue.
  • by Realist on Sep 5, 2011 at 10:27 AM
    Beasley is like the Choctaw Sarah Palin, they are both in it for themselves and the money.
  • by Chahta Location: Choctaw on Sep 4, 2011 at 03:01 PM
    ALL CHAHTA VOTERS! ON TUESDAY, SEPT.6, VOTE FOR PHYLISS ANDERSON FOR TRIBAL CHIEF!!!
  • by To selah on Sep 3, 2011 at 10:44 PM
    Do you honestly think they were just throughing regular tennis balls to the crowd at Beasley's rally? He did say he's throwing the dog toys to his dogs. There was $20 inside the tennis balls. Oh and I guess you missed all the HDTV's and computers and $50, $500 and more giveaways. All the prizes stacked on the stage. Sounds ridiculous...but it's allll true! To prove it...go check out his redwater rally, later today, Sunday. Go win yourself a prize and pray the FBI don't come looking for those prizes paid for with tribal money. Beasley plays the tribe like he plays golf....he uses Mulligans!!!
      by Anonymous on Sep 4, 2011 at 07:09 PM in reply to To selah
      I'm really glad To Selah encouraged us to go see for ourselves at Beasley's rally in Red Water. Eventhough, I did not win anything, I gained a better understanding on why Phyliss will not debate. Guess my vote will go to Beasley this time around and I am gonna try my best that I turn some other people around in PR. Phyliss won't get the votes she received last time. Thank you To Selah for your enlightenment.
      by selah on Sep 5, 2011 at 07:02 AM in reply to To selah
      I did go to rally at Red Water and was dissappointed. no money, no tennis balls w $ in it?? I did get a shirt to wear. All the kids at school say they like Phyllis' rally better because she does give out $ and prices, did she? If so I guess I missed out. I have been going to all the community rallies by Beasley to see if I get $ and all I got was good food, speeches and a shirt. Not once have I seen tennis balls. Somebody feeding you all somelines, you should have gone yourself before spreading gossip. That is the truth.
        by Anonymous on Sep 5, 2011 at 09:52 PM in reply to selah
        Selah, obviously you were not at the 2 rallys Beasley through at the convention center on the Monday nights prior to both previous elections. It was actually 2 of his cronies throwing out the tennis balls with $100.00 bills in them. Not to mention the all of the HDTVs and computers he was giving out. This was no potluck dinner either. It was catered by the casino.
  • by Chahta Location: Choctaw on Sep 3, 2011 at 04:48 PM
    There was another postcard mailer in my mailbox AGAIN! From who else but Beasley Denson. It WRONGFULLY states that Phyliss has been working for the tribe for 8 years. Phyliss has been working for the tribe close to 30 years or so. She started working before I did and I have worked much closer to that many years for the tribal government. Can Beasley Denson count? Evidently not, maybe that's why we've lost lots of money, lots of jobs, and lots of tribally owned enterprises. Let's vote for someone who knows the numbers! Let's VOTE FOR PHYLISS ANDERSON FOR CHIEF!!!
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 128705378 - wtok.com/a?a=128705378