Meridian DART Team Making Progress

Officers who are part of the Direct Action Response Team are set up to police areas of the city where the crime rate is higher.

The DART team is not required to respond to emergency calls that normal officers would. So far, so good, according to Meridian Police.

"These guys are out there and the DART team is functioning like the administration envisioned it would," MPD spokesman Mike Vick says.

Vick says the group is intelligence-based, meaning officers rely on help from the public in order to make a difference. Vick tells Newscenter 11 it's important to report any suspicious activity to authorities, no matter how minor it may seem.

"And they do an intelligence analysis of the data," he says. "And that's where the team ends up going."

As for the 131 traffic citations issued between May 31st and June 13th, Vick tells us people often question why officers stop drivers when they are only driving 10 or 12 miles over the speed limit, instead of fighting real crime.

"But here's the fact," Vick points out. "People, including bad guys, get from point A to point B in a vehicle. And if my mindset is such that I will steal from you, how likely am I to obey traffic laws."

But he says that doesn't mean that people who are abiding by the law won't get stopped every now and then. There are safety checks set up occasionally. Last thursday, he says a safety check resulted in finding a felony amount of marijuana and making 3 DUI arrests.

There are approximately five officers that make up the Direct Action Response Team. Officer Vick says there are no plans to expand that number at this time.

• by lildaddy Location: 24274 ave on Jul 11, 2012 at 03:12 PM
    When is the police going stop crime in Meridian
  • by thin blue line being tarnished on Jun 24, 2012 at 09:26 PM
    How many failures/disorderly charges are in your number Mr. Vic. There are enough crimes in Mdn to not use strong arm tactics,racial profiling/improper pc/dc-fto/improper uses of force. I hang my head in shame when I see my the thin blue line officers that I respect being tarnished by overly zealious cops harrashing law abiding citizens for the numbers/stats/money. My prayers are for those who rule over us but if they misuse their power and authority woe be unto them. They will have to answer to God who gave them their positions of authority.
  • by Thankful Location: Meridian on Jun 21, 2012 at 02:47 PM
    For the most part everyone in law enforcment is doing a great job. For the people who want to cry about how our officers arent doing their job you should sign up for a ride along and see if you can even keep up. After just a few hours you will be thankful and wanting to go home. KEEP up the good work guys. MPD, LCSD, NCSD
      by for the most part on Jun 25, 2012 at 11:39 PM in reply to Thankful
      You have it.For the most part is the part that im talking about
  • by Anonymous on Jun 21, 2012 at 11:30 AM
    Oh ok so the other night (Wednesday June 20) around midnight Thursday morning, I seen two cop cars parked at Dairy Queen perhaps debating who had the bigger weapon, who knows....yea thats right, the name of the resturant was (I thought) the perfect fit for those officers. One car which had the number 93. I couldnt see the other one.
  • by Response? on Jun 21, 2012 at 10:42 AM
    DART fighting crime one traffic citation at a time. What a joke and a waste of resources. By the way who pays for all the fancy shirts with the badges on them? I thought DART meant direct action "response" team. How is a road block a "response" to a crime anything? And patroling high crime areas, does that mean the black community? Recently, a marijuana growing opereation was busted in "elite" upperclass Madison, MS, not in Jackson which is sterotyped. And because of who they are people seem to want to give them a pass.
  • by Waterman on Jun 21, 2012 at 09:21 AM
    sounds to me like five guys setting on their butts while everyone else does the work. I haven't seen a drop in crime sence the dart team went into effect. If anything it probably has gone up. I have to agree with David to be nice I will say it sounds like more smoke and mirrors too. The truth is it sounds like a lot of bull. We you call the police most they will drive around the block a couple of times and report they did not see anything.
  • by Wonderful Location: Meridian on Jun 21, 2012 at 06:34 AM
    We are very proud of the D.A.R.T. team they are doing a fine job. The police department has been running so smoothly since certain officers are not on duty right now. You need to keep them off duty, they are the ones raping young girls in the project, selling drugs behind the badge. Keep them away.
      by * on Jun 21, 2012 at 10:07 AM in reply to Wonderful
      Wonderful, I'm quite sure Internal Affairs would love to talk to you about the allegations you continue to make on this website. Why not give them a call at 601-485-1863? If you wish to remain unknown, you can send them a letter to 2415 6th Street.
  • by TheTruth on Jun 21, 2012 at 05:59 AM
    I can't believe that the credit was given to the D.A.R.T. team for these arrests. What is even more stunning about this is that Mike Vick, the Public Information Officer for the Meridian Police Department was at this checkpoint and knows first hand that the D.A.R.T team was not even on scene until after all the arrests had been made. It was the Meridian PD K-9 UNIT that originally set up the checkpoint. If there has ever been a false and misleading statement given to WTOK, this is surely it. Please WTOK you need to question this and ask why credit was not given to the K-9 Unit for a job well done? More Politics, and yes, "Smoke & Mirrors" !
  • by David Location: Meridian on Jun 20, 2012 at 11:25 PM
    I know for a fact the the MPD K9 unit conducted that safety checkpoint. The DART team wasn't even present during that felony marijuana arrest or the 3 DUI's. Smoke and mirrors once again... Give credit where credit is due!
      by CATCH THIS on Jun 21, 2012 at 07:47 AM in reply to David
      DART TEAM GET THE PUBLIC TO DO YOUR JOB MIKE VICK GET A JOB AT WTOK TV YOU STAY ON TV ALL TH TIME
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 159805045 - wtok.com/a?a=159805045