Mississippi Voters Deciding 3 Ballot Initiatives

By: The Associated Press
By: The Associated Press

Mississippians are voting Tuesday on three ballot initiatives that propose amendments to the state constitution.

Initiative 26, also known as the "personhood" initiative,
would declare that life begins at fertilization.

Initiative 27 would require voters to show government-issued
identification at the polls.

Initiative 31 would ban the government from using eminent domain to take land for private economic projects.

State law says that for any initiative to pass, it needs a
simple majority, and it must receive at least 40 percent of the
total votes cast in the election.

That means an initiative might be in jeopardy if it receives
significantly fewer votes than are cast in top-of-the ballot races, such as the governor's election.

Initiatives are expected to be located at the end of the ballot in most counties.

• by claire on Nov 9, 2011 at 10:59 AM
    "If any of you put a stumbling block before one of these little ones who believe in me, it would be better for you if a great millstone were fastened around your neck and you were drowned in the depth of the sea." (matthew 18:6-7) Is this what you want to happen to pro-choice people? I just can't stand it when people twist the bible around to fit their own political agenda. Not to mention one of our countries main ideals is the separation of church and state.
  • by Peabody Location: Valley Road on Nov 8, 2011 at 11:27 AM
    No,yes,no. Right or wrong I did vote.
  • by concerned mother of two bueatiful babies Location: Merdian on Nov 8, 2011 at 10:29 AM
    No to 26 and 27 I am not going to have random people tell me what I can and cannot do with my own body concerning children Unlike other people and I use the word " people" lightly! 31 yes!
  • by Chelsea Location: Columbus on Nov 8, 2011 at 10:05 AM
    Intiative 26 was not brought in from out of state. Les Riley of the Personhood Mississippi movement has been at the forefront of this initiative for several years. I personally signed the petition to get it on the ballot when I heard him speak a few years ago in Tupelo, MS. Jonathan is right about lies from Planned Parenthood. Intiative 26 outlaws only birth control designed to kill a a fertilized egg. It does not outlaw all birth controls and certainly not hormonal based ones like "the pill." What it does is give rights to human beings from inside their mothers' wombs. As for being "a mass of cells" without a heartbeat, I'm so glad my mother didn't feel that way. When she was only a few months pregnanat with me, they couldn't find my heartbeat and told her that the embryo was miscarried and she would require a DNC. She refused saying that she didn't believe her baby was dead. Two weeks later, they found my heartbeat. I am ALIVE today to tell you that it is murder, that a baby is not a mass of cells, and that Planned Parenthood is a liar. Vote "Yes" on 26!
  • by Concerned on Nov 8, 2011 at 05:53 AM
    YES, life and death are God's decision yes,dont see a problem with it as long as everyone is able to get an ID.including th homebound yes, Meridian's economic growth depends on it!The city pales in comparison to cities like Hattiesburg, Flowood and Hernandez just to name a few!
  • by Charles Foster Offdensen Location: Meridian on Nov 8, 2011 at 02:59 AM
    Jonathan, number 26 has absolutely nothing to do with murdering children. Where does your nonsense information come from? The out of state group that brought this initiative here possibly? Its about labeling a lifeless mass of cells as a human being. A mass of cells that has no beating heart until 21 days AFTER fertilization. The bible passage you mention makes no mention of the cell clumps. And YES, Haley Barbour himself stated that some forms of birth control WILL be outlawed if this passes. Please stop continuing the propaganda that this out of state group brought here.
  • by Jonathan Poe Location: Collinsville Ms on Nov 7, 2011 at 07:14 PM
    Attention all fellow Mississippi citizens of voting age: Me and all of the underage voting Mississippians are depending on you to go to the voting polls tomorrow and make a wise choice by voting Yes on initiative 26 27 & 31. Its your duty as a Mississippi citizen to fight for whats right and i don't think anybody would disagree with me if i say murder is wrong & Initiative 26 stops the murder of children which Jesus himself said was the of the greatest kingdom(Mathew 18:1-7) so how can anybody especially Christians not make a special effort to vote YES tomorrow. Also this initiative does NOT ban birth control! That is a lie supported by Planned Parent hood of NEW YORK CITY. Why do this new york society think they need to run down here & tell us in Mississippi What is right and wrong.
  • by Yes! on Nov 7, 2011 at 12:16 PM
    Yes, Yes, and Yes!
  • by Citizen Location: Meridian on Nov 7, 2011 at 08:53 AM
    26 and 27 no. 31 yes. Keep the government out of our private lives, and off of our private property.
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 133363763 - wtok.com/a?a=133363763