Peavey to Expand Meridian Operations

By: Rachel Alig Email
By: Rachel Alig Email

Peavey Electronics will now be manufacturing a new line of guitars, without a single piece of wood in it. Instead, they will be made out of graphite fiber.

According to Hartley Peavey, founder and CEO, this comes after the recent purchase of the hard assets and intellectual property of Composite Acoustics.

Peavey will add new jobs locally to accommodate the new line of guitars.

"Initially there will probably be about 15. Eventually there will be about 75 or so," said Peavey. "Maybe even 100, depending on how it goes."

And Peavey expects it to go well. He says there is very little or no competition for this type of instrument. He said he believes there will be a lot of demand because of its unique characteristics.

"Traditionally, wooden guitars have a heel on the back of the neck. Notice this one has no heel," he said.

According to the United State Department of Labor, the nationwide unemployment rate is 9.6%. With the current state of the economy, Peavey says he hopes to keep jobs in the U.S. and Mississippi.

"At Peavey, we've tried very hard to keep manufacturing jobs in the United States," said the founder. "In order to keep jobs in Meridian, we bought this company. We bought Trace Elliott. We bought Crest. We bought a company called Budda that makes amplifiers on the West Coast. We brought all of that to Meridian."

The company has its own classrooms where it train employees. But, Peavey says finding individuals with the right skill sets is still a challenge.

• by joke on Oct 19, 2010 at 07:17 PM
    Thank you Donna. You are the back bone of this Country. Peavey and his greed is why this Country is where it is. GREED. It's good to be a sensible business person, but when you get greedy and selfish you loose the respect of the people that work for your busines, and buy your product.
  • by Peabody Location: Zero on Oct 19, 2010 at 08:30 AM
    People like Donna are what makes the South great. She is willing to give up profits to make sure her people are taken care of. While not business smart it shows that she cares about her people. If she wold post a description of her business I would be there today.
  • by Dave on Oct 18, 2010 at 09:52 PM
    I haven't live in Meridian all my life but have for a long time. I'm amazed at the criticism I hear about Peavey. I just wonder if any of the critics have ever had to make a payroll, or compete in any kind of market at all, much less an international one? If even 20 employees made only $20,000 a year, that's $400,000, not to mention taxes, health insurance, etc. The man is running a business and doing what it takes to continue. Try not to be idiots.
  • by Anonymous on Oct 18, 2010 at 08:28 PM
    well Danna will have to agree with one thing poor isnt the word i would be scared to death working for you and would be praying every min. you are not walking in the door with chap. 13 papers..
  • by Meridian Location: Meridian on Oct 18, 2010 at 08:02 PM
    Donna, you are just a poor business woman.
  • by WOW on Oct 18, 2010 at 07:23 PM
    To Donna, I totally agree with you!
  • by Anonymous on Oct 18, 2010 at 06:39 PM
    well its like this dont like what you see on the channel turn it same with a job dont like it find new.. as far as not giving back to the area.. well this is a choice and the freedom we have in this country .. but then some people are not the type to put their names out there i did this or that.. Danna as a business woman am not impressed with your comments... how can you be proud to be this way business is to make money and profit from your work and risks not sit there and spout being PC how good you are you dont make money.
  • by Donna on Oct 18, 2010 at 06:02 PM
    @ worried.... I run a small business in north meridian employing 14 people full time and 3 people part time. I make a very nice living for myself and eight of my employees have been with me since 91. I don't live in a mansion and provide good benefits for my employees. The reason I make fun of Peavy is the lack of pay grade in the ranks. You have guys who have worked for him for 20 years and make less than 25k a year while he bathes in champagne. He is not a saint to me.
  • by Wow Location: Meridian on Oct 18, 2010 at 06:52 AM
    This is not news worthy. Peavy has not given back to the community. He keeps his money. He is an embarrassment.
  • by Anonymous on Oct 17, 2010 at 03:36 PM
    like any other company need to get way from taxes... companies are not money trees.. but none has learned that yet .. and reasons why they move out of the country..
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 104998634 - wtok.com/a?a=104998634