Save the Shelter Efforts Continue

Efforts are continuing to try and keep South Harbor Shelter open.

Despite widespread publicity, the recent concert to save the shelter was far from reaching it's goal. It raised $17,000, and the goal was to raise $50,000.

That money will probably only last a few months, something staff at the shelter is well aware of, but they are keeping a positive attitude.

"I'm not fearful because I just believe someone will come through and say, 'Here, keep the door open,'" says Linda Grace Jones, the Director of South Harbor.

To help keep the Shelter open, Weems Mental Health Center is sponsoring a chicken plate fundraiser. It will be held this Friday, June 29th, staring at 11 AM at South Harbor Shelter.

Plates are $7 each, and all proceeds will go to benefit the shelter.

• by Grateful Lady Location: Meridian on Jun 25, 2012 at 07:44 AM
    Over twelve years ago I lived at the South Harbor Shelter for 5 months,because of my bad choices and burning bridges with friends and family. I worked 5 days a week I walked where I needed to go and developed wonderful friendships along the way. I had a car but with no drivers license and I had no use for it. I believe the "SYSTEM" should be used for stepping stones like how it helped me. I now have a wonderful job,nice home,church, new friends and a better relationship with family. I got very humble and grew up alot while living there. The shelter saved my life and gave me structure which I was lacking for so long.
      by Citizen on Jun 28, 2012 at 05:30 AM in reply to Grateful Lady
      Grateful Lady, your story is compelling. I hope our community individuals and churches will rise up and contribute in order to continue this "stepping stone" (as you termed it) ministry. God bless you.
  • by Andrew Location: Meridian on Jun 25, 2012 at 04:02 AM
    There are definitely problems with people abusing the system in any charitable organization. I've had to be on medicare/medicaid in the past, I was without AC for a while, and I know how the story goes. I didn't beg anyone to fix it, but yea, I complained about it a bit. I have AC where I am at now, and it's definitely a necessity these days. I am blessed right now, but the funds I'm living on won't last forever. I did make a small donation to this charity in hopes it would be used wisely. There are people who abuse the system, but there are a good number of people who you meet from time to time that worked at a factory that closed down and all they have from those glory days is a vehicle. People who got tricked into a balloon payment mortgage and ended up homeless. It's not all their fault. These days there are many more people without work who want to work but have given up on finding a job because they get turned down left and right. The only places that will hire you aren't going to pay your bills each month because pop had a heart surgery and mom's near bout senile. So, you definitely have to take a closer look at some cases before you judge so harshly.
  • by Peabody Location: Valley Road on Jun 24, 2012 at 10:37 PM
    S.H.is what it is. It's a place for sober/drug free(apeering) people to have a dry safe place to sleep. From what I know most don't have rides or if they do they are clunckers,some work and either walk or bum rides, most shop at Fred's. I've seen people staying there go to work every day build up funds and get their own place,I've seen some stay till they can get a bus ticket home and seem some lowlifes stay a few days until they get thrown out for rulebreaking. It's worth supporting,I do.
  • by Chris on Jun 24, 2012 at 07:58 PM
    How could you say something like close this place down? God forbid the worst happens and you need a place like this to call home for a few nights, what if it were your kids your mom your sister.
  • by southerngentlemen on Jun 24, 2012 at 07:03 PM
    It would be nice if the newscenter would do an in depth report on this place. As it is, we dont really know if its helping those in hardship crisis situations or simply those who are working the system. I used to donate regularly to that wesley house place and then it came out that the staff and boss there were taking first pick over the donated items. Alot of people would help donate if not for so many scammers on both sides of organizations like that. Do some interviews on the people staying there. Walk outside and show us what vehicles theyre driving. The place on 8th street that gives out free food to the 'people in need.' i drive by all the time and see people in new cars and suv's way newer and finer than mine loading up free groceries. If its a legit organization, show us. People tend to help out when they know its honestly needed and that the people in need are honestly trying to better their situation.
      by Andrew on Jun 25, 2012 at 04:14 AM in reply to southerngentlemen
      I agree to an extent. I've seen people denied before who were in terrible shape, no car, no job, etc. I've also seen people who were in rough shape whom they have helped. Simply because you own a home or a vehicle doesn't mean you are doing great financially. But, I have to say.. I volunteered at one of these places a while back, and there were people with televisions in their cars stuffing their trunks full of food. Must be nice to have a TV in your car. I can't even drive right now because of the seizure disorder I have, and I own no vehicle. Must be nice to be able to get around. I'd sell the tv out of my car before I went begging for food.
  • by Randy on Jun 23, 2012 at 01:11 PM
    close this place down.....
      by Kiyote on Jun 28, 2012 at 05:31 AM in reply to Randy
      Driving what appears to be a new car or SUV does not mean that someone recently experienced a life altering event. Sure there are some in any organization that will abuse or manipulate the program. But, remember this.... Sometimes you must go through the GREEDY to get to the NEEDY.
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 160127715 - wtok.com/a?a=160127715