Slay Thanks Voters

Lauderdale County will have a new tax assessor next year.

Two-term incumbent Jimmy Slay was defeated in Tuesday's Republican runoff election by challenger James Rainey.
Wednesday, Slay thanked the voters, and wished Rainey good luck.

"The people spoke, and that's the beauty of this country," said Slay. "We have the freedom to vote, and that's what took place."

There are no Democrats or independents running in the tax assessor's race. Rainey will take office in January.

• by Michael Location: Meridian on Aug 25, 2011 at 12:15 PM
    Having worked with various Mississippi counties for many years I am proud to see the Lauderdale County electorate finally came to their senses. Mr. Slay has ruled his office with no sense of morality or professionalism. Paranoia has governed his decision-making process. I am proud of Lauderdale County!!!!
  • by Property Owner Location: Meridian on Aug 25, 2011 at 08:14 AM
    The reason why Mr Rainey won is not because of mud slinging but of telling the truth. Mr Slay is a fine man until you cross him or disagree with him then he would turn ugly. He is an extremely defensive person and has no problem accusing people of seeking favoritism or out right calling them crooks if they question him. Property has devalued here in Lauderdale County but yet we haven't had any millage increases and our taxes have gone up. That is not mud slinging, that is fact. I hope Mr Slay can find a good job, one that appreciates his talents, in the private sector.
  • by John Location: Meridian on Aug 25, 2011 at 06:58 AM
    Don't let Slay fool you. He assessed the county's properties before the housing bubble popped and he has refused to reassess since then. He also contracted without a firm that was from outside the county. Slay has been bad for Lauderdale county. He is not a good man.
  • by ivy Location: collinsville on Aug 24, 2011 at 05:15 PM
    Maybe change will be good for lauderdale county. Slay is a fine man and done the right thing by thanking the voters now if ole ray will growup and do the right thing,but I don't look for that to happen anytime soon!
      by PTD on Aug 25, 2011 at 12:53 AM in reply to ivy
      Fine man? You should have heard the way he spoke to my nearly 80 year old father last week while dad was in his office at the court house. I was standing outside your office mr slay, but I still heard what was said. Wonder how many other of his elderly former supporters received the same treatment?
  • by District 3 Voter on Aug 24, 2011 at 03:06 PM
    I wish James Rainey well. I believe the assessor's job would involve a lot of detail and numbers, so hats off to anyone willing to try it. I just hope the mudslinging Rainey did doesn't come back to bite him. He may find the job much tougher when he's on the inside.
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 128340913 - wtok.com/a?a=128340913