Summer Feeding Program

By: Nick Adam Email
By: Nick Adam Email

Meridian Public Schools will once again offer free breakfast and lunch through their annual Summer Feeding Program.

Here's a rundown of the schedule at all four sites this summer, the program begins May 29th.

Summer Feeding Schedule

Meridian High
Breakfast 7:30 - 8:30 AM
Lunch 11:30 to 12:30 PM

TJ Harris
Breakfast 7:30 - 8:00 AM
Lunch 11:30 - 12 PM

These meals are open to any children 18 and under no matter if they are a school district student.

MPS officials will deliver to groups of 50 children or more.

• by Jay Location: Meridian on May 26, 2012 at 11:04 PM
    This program is open to EVERY child. A parent may work out of town or long hours, a parent might be ill but was fine when the children were born. To the people who think this is to feed the children of lazy and crazy people, think before you speak (type) Would you rather have children trying to prepare meals and burn down the house because Mama and Daddy have to work two part time jobs because they lost their jobs due to any number of reasons. People are too quick to judge.
  • by Sam on May 25, 2012 at 07:23 PM
    Why do the crazy people have kids if they can't feed them?????? They just expect others to work hard and use their money to feed something they had and can't or want take care of. No wonder there is so much crime in the city, state and country...The parents need a job, not just keep having unwanted kids to turn out in the street to make more unwanted kids...
  • by sick and tired Location: meridian on May 25, 2012 at 04:27 PM
    my tax dollars at work. Like food stamps arent enough!!!!!
  • by Clarity Location: Meridian on May 24, 2012 at 09:00 PM
    The average gross monthly income per food stamp household is $731; The average net income is $336. 36% of participants are White; 22% are African-American. I believe that 36 percent is greater than 22 percent. So the "THEY" ARE THE WHITES. SO IT WOULD SEEM THAT WE AFRICAN-AMERICANS ARE THE ONES PAYING FOR THESE SO CALLED HAND-OUTS. IF YOU WOULD DO SOME RESEARCH BEFORE POSTING INFORMATION, YOU WOULDN'T LOOK LIKE _____ AND BIGOTS.
      by Winston on May 25, 2012 at 04:31 PM in reply to Clarity
      So - who makes up the remaining 42% of households receiving food stamps? Since your statistics are being used to accuse everyone of being "bigots", maybe you could explain them. And just how did you jumo to this conclusion that the collective "they" is African American?
        by Tax Payer on May 26, 2012 at 09:07 PM in reply to Winston
        Clarity, since whites out number blacks 4 to 1 that would mean that blacks are 4 times as likely to be on welfare. Plus everything I see puts the stats as white at 38% and black as 39%. IF YOU WOULD USE SOME LOGIC YOU WOULDN'T LOOK SO STUPID!
  • by Proud Supporter Location: Meridian on May 24, 2012 at 08:37 PM
    Thank goodness that MPSD cares about children of all income brackets and offers this program so that any child who wishes to have breakfast and lunch may have it hopefully in their neighborhood. I encouraged my child to eat with this program so she could have a more nutritious meal during band camp than I could have provided and I am able to pay for it. Thank you MPSD Food Service.
  • by Winston Location: Rat Cheer on May 24, 2012 at 08:21 PM
    Hey - here's an idea: the Summer WORKING Program! There is a great deal to be done in our city - clearing out overgrown cemeteries, picking up litter, cleaning and painting schools and public facilities, caring for younger children, filling potholes, etc. How about breakfast, then four hours of work, then lunch, then four more hours of work before going home? This seems like a reasonable routine that most taxpayers will recognize. Perhaps this would create a pattern of behavior that would lead to personal responsibility, a strong work ethic and even a next generation of taxpayers. Is that too much to ask?
  • by Betting Man on May 24, 2012 at 05:53 PM
    I'm willing to bet that mostly all of you who are against this program that feeds children are also against abortion which would get rid of the children you don't want your tax dollars to feed! You can't have it both ways . . . you want them here then you must deal with the fact that someone is going to have to feed them and if their parents can't then your tax dollars will!
      by Waterman on May 25, 2012 at 08:13 AM in reply to Betting Man
      No I am for abortion as lone as tax dollars are not used for it.
  • by Not Surprised Location: Lauderdale County on May 24, 2012 at 02:41 PM
    We pay for their food stamps, afdc, housing, etc., now it's free lunches so mama can entertain baby daddy number whatever. The taxpayers are tired of slaving away to give to the moochers!!!!!!
  • by C Location: Collinsville on May 24, 2012 at 11:49 AM
    To Unbelievable: Amen! I work two jobs and I pay my fair share of taxes, and I agree that the government could cut spending in some spots. I also agree that some parents don't provide for their children. Feeding hungry kids is not going to reward their parents, and letting them go hungry because their parents are sorry isn't going to teach the parents a lesson. This program is making sure children's needs are met, and I have NO problem with my tax dollars going toward that.
  • by Saddened on May 24, 2012 at 11:14 AM
    If any of you that are against this program are ever in a situation in which you need help . . . I pray you don't run into people like yourselves. I can't count the amount of meals I've freely given to people who claim to be in need. I didn't wonder if they were really in need or not . .. they were hungry so I fed them (didn't give them money, but I did give them a meal). It was the right thing to do. If they lied to me and abused my kindness then that is their burden to bear. The majority of students that use this program are under the age of 17 and 18 (its usually elementary and middle school aged students). These are CHILDREN. They are not the ones abusing the system so why should they suffer? What ever happened to a thing called humanity? I feel so sorry for those who would like to argue about this. I will keep you in my prayers and hope that God will one day touch your hearts.
      by Anonymous on May 24, 2012 at 02:03 PM in reply to Saddened
      If I am in a situation in which I need help, I will know in my heart that I've PAID MY DUES a million times over in INCOME TAXES. I will know in my heart that I have EARNED TEMPORARY assistance (NOT PERMAMENT REWARDS AND INCENTIVES like those using and abusing the system). Our government: "Have as many kids as you want! The more you have, the more you'll GET!! TAXPAYERS will PAY your rent, GIVE you money for food - which you can use to buy gum, cokes, chips, whatever - PAY your medical bills, GIVE you a cell phone, SEND YOU a monthly check to PAY FOR that Mercedes, Audi - whatever luxury car you want and $200 tennis shoes - FEED your kids, even though I ALREADY GIVE YOU FOOD STAMPS, PAY your utility bill, and PAY YOU MORE PER MONTH FOR EACH KID YOU SPIT OUT AT OUR - TAXPAYER'S - EXPENSE!!! These programs come with HUGE COSTS TO TAXPAYERS - each one of these "FREE" breakfast and lunch programs cost for food, labor, supplies, utilities. AIN'T AMERICA GRAND!! VOTERS BETTER WAKE UP! This country is a laughing stock. UNLESS WORK FOR A LIVING AND PAY TAXES YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW THE SYSTEM WORKS. YOU ARE TOO BUSY STANDING IN LINE WITH YOUR HAND OUT AND SIGNING UP FOR EVERY "FREEBIE" TO EVEN UNDERSTAND THAT NOTHING, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING IS FREE.
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 153282445 - wtok.com/a?a=153282445