Voters Concerned About Jobs

By: Nick Adam Email
By: Nick Adam Email

Democrat Johnny Dupree, currently Mayor of Hattiesburg, and Republican Lt. Governor Phil Bryant will debate the issues in the only debate prior to November's general election.

Almost every voter we spoke to Friday afternoon had one topic they definitely wanted covered during the debate, jobs.

That's not surprising, considering Mississippi's unemployment rate is still over 10%, and Lauderdale County's is even higher than the statewide average.

"I'm worried about jobs, all these jobs are going to people that have been in college," says Robert Knighton, "I can't even get a job."

"What are they going to do to solve the jobs situation," asks Heather Gambrell.

"Everything keeps going up except my husband's paycheck."

Again the debate will air on WTOK at 7 PM Friday night, it will be held at the Mississippi College School of Law.

• by Jason Location: Meridian on Oct 19, 2011 at 07:32 PM
    Thats right waynesboro...peeps robbing because there are no jobs..i dont have one and can not find one...at least the mayor has a nice new office..think she would give me a job..____ no bro!!!
  • by waynesboro Location: waynesboro on Oct 17, 2011 at 04:07 PM
    I know rite they need jobs here that's y people robbing an killing
  • by Charles Foster Offdensen Location: Meridian on Oct 15, 2011 at 01:13 AM
    Unemployment figures, whether locally, statewide or nationally are really debatable. Are the numbers accurate? Yes and NO. Im sure the numbers reflect the ones who are unemployed ON PAPER. But there have always been people who work 'off the books.' There are also many who exist simply by leeching off of government subsidies. When you take these things into account, true unemployment is probably half of what is being stated. And by true unemployment, I mean the folks out there who arent working and actually want to. Remember, some peoples 'job' is to hold their hand out each month for that government subsidy check, foodstamps, free rent and that sort of thing.
      by Peabody on Oct 17, 2011 at 01:30 AM in reply to Charles Foster Offdensen
      Say what? People working off the books or on goverment $ are not counted.People who have given on employments offices are not counted. Walk out into the real world and find 50% more than reported not half. Bye the way 2 or 3 $ an hour does not = a job, it's a way not to starve.
  • by Maintaining on Oct 14, 2011 at 11:17 PM
    I'm loving the comments from "anonymous" and "guy south"!!! I'm 24yo female working a full time job, 7 months prego and going BACK to school full time trying to be accepted into the nursing program! I have a 3.6 gpa and hopefully will go up another tenth of a point by end of the semester grades! BUT... I had to WANT it and throw my heart into it!! Keep up the good work guys/girls that want more for their LIFE AND FAMILY and don't spend/WASTE their time complaining and not doing anything about it!!! :D
  • by Guy South of I 20 on Oct 14, 2011 at 07:00 PM
    Keep in mind that the unemployment figures are based on those who have applied for or are receiving unemployment benefits. The actual number is likely much higher. And for the gentleman who commented about all the jobs going to college graduates: Maybe that should be a sign to you. I went back to school. Yes, I had to take out loans to do it but I'll be able to pay them off pretty quickly with the increase in pay that I got. There are also grants and other financial aid available. Oh, and I also went back while being married and maintaining a full time job. If I can do it, anyone can do it.
      by Peabody on Oct 14, 2011 at 11:54 PM in reply to Guy South of I 20
      I think what we are lacking is people educated above H.S. but not really needing a 4 year degree. Where does what would be a blue collar worker get training in robotics, automation and such that most idustries desire get training around here? Companies want at least semi skilled workers nowdays and I just don't see any/litte training in that area.
  • by Anonymous on Oct 14, 2011 at 05:48 PM
    ARE-YOU-_______ KIDDING ME??? LOL......"All of these jobs are going to people who been to college-I cant even get a job".......HELLO!!!!!!! If THATS your view about then uh.....Heres a brilliant idea-why not GO TO COLLEGE and perhaps, just MAYBE..."those jobs" will come your way...But then again-you have to go get it...
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 131893338 - wtok.com/a?a=131893338