ABC National Election Coverage
WTOK Political Headlines
Meridian Christmas Parade to Follow New Route
Updated: 6:53 PM
- The Meridian Christmas Parade is set for Saturday, Dec. 5, in downtown Meridian, and there are some changes.
Global Travel Alert Issued
Posted: 4:25 PM
- As you get ready for holiday travel, the U.S. State Department says Americans, especially those traveling internationally, should be on alert.
State of Alabama Sets Execution Date
Posted: 3:45 PM
- The Alabama Supreme Court has set a Jan. 21 execution date for Christopher Brooks, convicted of raping and murdering a woman more than 20 years ago.
Mississippi Power Announces Lower Fuel Costs
Posted: 11:36 AM
- Due to lower natural gas costs, Mississippi Power Co. says it's planning to cut customer bills early next year.
Infant Mortality Rate Hits All-Time Low in Mississippi
Posted: 10:52 AM
- Infant mortality in Mississippi hit an all-time low last year.
Tullos Challenges How Votes Were Counted in Tied Race
- The Republican who lost an election tiebreaker in a drawing of straws is asking the Republican-majority Mississippi House to declare him the winner of the race.
Terry Mayor Resigns
- The mayor of Terry, Miss., has resigned after pleading guilty to embezzlement.
MHP to Have Heightened Enforcement
- The Mississippi Highway Patrol will have increased manpower on the road for the Thanksgiving holiday enforcement period Wednesday through Sunday.
Mississippi Judicial Runoffs Tuesday
- Runoffs are being held for two nonpartisan judicial races in Mississippi Tuesday.
Lawyer Says Prison Commissary Prices Too High
An Oxford attorney says inmates' families get punished when prison commissaries charge excessively for necessities and snacks. Corrections Commissioner Marshall Fisher the vast majority of commissary prices have dropped substantially.
Democrat Eaton Draws Long Straw in Tiebreaker
- To break a tie in a Mississippi House election, a Democrat and a Republican reached into a red canvas bag Friday and each plucked out a silver-plated business card box.
Mississippi A.G. Warns about Spoofing Scam
- The office of Attorney General Jim Hood sent out a warning to Mississippians about a phone scam that's using technology to make it appear the call is coming from a familiar, trusted source.
Alabama Jobless Rate Declines
- Alabama's unemployment rate is down slightly, to 5.9% in October.
House Passes Bill for Extensive BG Checks
- The U.S. House of Representatives passed the SAFE Act Thursday, a bill to extend background checks on Syrian and Iraqi refugees trying to enter the U.S. President Obama has pledged to veto it.
Younger Members of Congress Working with Millennials
- A group of young U.S. representatives have come together on Capitol Hill to create what they’re calling the ‘Future Caucus’.
More WTOK Political Headlines