Appeals Court Overturns California's Marriage Protection Law

A ruling by a California court could eventually have an impact on people in Mississippi and Alabama.
The 9th Circuit Court of Appeals ruled Tuesday that bans on same-sex marriage are unconstitutional.

The ruling likely means the case is headed to the U.S. Supreme Court, which could decide what to do with similar bans in dozens of states, including Mississippi and Alabama.

Reaction was mixed in a sampling of public opinion in Meridian Tuesday.

Some say they don't feel gay couples should have the same rights as couples of the opposite sex. Others say people should have a right to marry whoever they want.

"To each their own, really," said Rachel Clatterbuck. "I mean, if you want to be married to the same sex or the opposite sex, that's fine too."

"Honestly, me as a Christian, I believe that God made Adam and Eve," said Any Currie. "And it might sound derogatory or something like that, but not Adam and Steve."

"I don't approve of gay marriage. I think it should be illegal," said Joy Reese. "And I'm hoping they can work it out so it remains illegal so that it doesn't spread to Mississippi."

"I think it's great. I mean if a couple is happy, who are we to get in the way of their happiness?" said Stacey Williams. "So I don't see any reason why they couldn't be together legally."

Same-sex marriage is only legal in six states right now: Connecticut, Iowa, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Vermont and New York.

Four other states do not allow same-sex marriage, but do recognize it from other states.

Thirty-one states have provisions in their constitutions that define marriage as between one man and one woman. Those include Mississippi and Alabama.

• by bearhunter on Feb 8, 2012 at 08:44 PM
    You are 95% right farral, child molesters are perverts to. But I am sure one day they will get their day in court to say THEY WERE BORN THAT WAY and cant help it, and try to get it leagalized. your opinion of me was close but I believe in less government, let the people decide and im not a lunitic. parinoid maybe.also you should read Deuteronomy 22:5. remember God loves everyone, he just hates sin. their is no special place in hell for diffrent sins, its all the same torment.
  • by bearhunter on Feb 8, 2012 at 09:51 AM
    Gee Greg,I will loose sleep tonight over your comments im sure.It is amazing what man will do or say to justify his bad behavior against the law of the Lord. Next we will have to except people into beastiallity wanting to marry their pets and show public effection. I believe we are on a downward spiral, with more and more chance of a uprising in our country. But thats alright, I have been preparing for that a long time, Im ready.
      by Farrell on Feb 8, 2012 at 06:28 PM in reply to bearhunter
      HA! You want to know what perversion is? Its when a Chrisitan church allows 30 something to 70 something year old MEN to marry 8-12 year old girls under the sickening banner of holy marriage. You sound like one of those religouse-militant, anitgovernment lunatics that approve of child bride marriage. YOU PEOPLE HAVE NO PLACE TO CALL WHAT TWO CONSENTTING ADULTS DO BETWEEN THEMSELVES PERVERTED! NEED TO CLEAN YOUR OWN HOUSE BUDDY!
  • by Gregory Location: Collinsville on Feb 8, 2012 at 08:15 AM
    Hey, how come you guys aren't stoning your children when they misbehave? How come you aren't killing fortunetellers or people who follow other religions? Could it be, possibly, that you implicitly recognize not every command in the bible is good to live by? Golly gee whiz, it's almost as if you're picking and choosing what's right and what's wrong instead of READING YOUR SACRED TEXT AND REALIZING THAT IT'S FULL OF STUPID JUNK! Wake up and smell the coffee: it's the 21st century.
  • by bearhunter on Feb 7, 2012 at 08:41 PM
    the majority has o voice. why vote on somthing if it can be overturned by a liberal court.the majority of people are not in favor of gay marrage.I personaly dont care what perversions are done behind closed doors, i am not the judge of those sins,but as most people dont express their taboo bedroom manner in public the ____ shouldnt express theirs. I would not want any children of mine seeing their open display of gayness and have to explain to them that what they are doing is wrong and that this country will be punished by are creator for supporting it.if you dont want to bring christian values in it, then lets keep it worldly.when we start seeing mother nature acting in such a perverse way then ok but until then creatures are born male and female for a reason. we should not support bad behavior. If the whole world went gay umans would go extinct.Keep it in the closet.
  • by In meridian Location: Meridian on Feb 7, 2012 at 07:18 PM
    How is something unconstitutional if the people VOTED on it?????? Just wondering???
      by Gregory on Feb 8, 2012 at 08:11 AM in reply to In meridian
      "Why is segregation illegal even though the people VOTED on it? WHY CAN'T I HAVE MY TYRANNY OF THE MASSES?" Cry some more, bigot.
  • by Oh Yes! on Feb 7, 2012 at 06:12 PM
    Yes! Its about time the courts take a stand against the bigotry of people take a book of fairytales- the bible- as literal. United States needs to get with the program like Sweden! The Swedes dont care who love or sleep with!
  • by Bonnie Clementine Location: Meridian on Feb 7, 2012 at 06:06 PM
    It shouldn't matter what two, consenting, grown adults are doing, as long as it isn't hurting anyone. I am a straight female, and my marriage or sanctity of it does not feel "threatened" in any way if two men love each other and decide to get married. Even if YOU don't like it, it's not YOUR life. Let others make their own decisions and live their lives. What's the point of this free will thing anyway?
  • by Oh no on Feb 7, 2012 at 04:06 PM
    Tome for all churches and pastors to take a stand. It's Adam and eve not adam and Eddie
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 138892944 - wtok.com/a?a=138892944