Big Turnout Leads to Long Lines

By: Nick Adam Email
By: Nick Adam Email

As the tallying continued late into Tuesday evening at the Lauderdale County Courthouse, election officials say the big story of election 2011 was the turnout.

Some precincts reported bigger turnouts in this election than in the 2008 presidential election.

The large turnout was a problem in some precincts, as there were long lines at MSU-Meridian and the Frank Cochran Center.

As a result of the long waits for some voters, a law firm in Jackson has filed a suit against the Lauderdale County Circuit Clerk and Election Commission, stating that voters were discouraged to vote because of the long wait.

Commission officials say they did their best to prepare for the general election, but they could not add anymore electronic voting machines once the lines started to grow.

Casandra Sloan with the Lauderdale County Democratic Party was listed as one of the plaintiffs in the lawsuit. We were not able to immediately get a comment from Sloan.

• by Patricia Location: Bailey on Nov 9, 2011 at 09:24 PM
    Be glad you're able to stand in line. Many places don't allow people to vote freely. If this many people voting were the norm, officials would have been better prepared. Vote in every election there is. I bet everyone of the complainers have stood in line for a sporting event, concert, Black Friday shopping, when a new phones or pads or games come out.
  • by Bill Location: City on Nov 9, 2011 at 04:16 PM
    I stood in line for one hour to vote because only one voting machine was working. There were 30 people in line behind me waiting to vote and many others that walked in and then left when they saw the situation. I will vote absentee next time.
  • by Beverly Location: Lauderdale County on Nov 9, 2011 at 09:22 AM
    At 7pm, the bailiff stands at the end of the line of voters and announces "The polls are now closed". Anyone standing in line at that time may still vote, but anyone coming in after that cannot.
  • by Worried Location: Faraway on Nov 9, 2011 at 06:22 AM
    Correct me if I'm wrong but,When they say the polls close at 7pm that means even the voting machines right.So..They should have run everyone that was in line waiting to vote out and that was the end of it...Not fair to lock the door to others waiting in line outside to vote but let the others inside AFTER 7 pm vote...what is wrong y'all......
  • by Jason Location: Meridian on Nov 9, 2011 at 05:50 AM
    Omg if you want to vote go in there and vote if not go home..... a wait in a line ain't gonna kill anyone in this town heck half of you do it to pick up your welfare you don't complain then!!!!!
      by Anonymous on Nov 9, 2011 at 12:15 PM in reply to Jason
      lol you so lame
  • by Gloria on Nov 9, 2011 at 05:47 AM
    Can we say frivolous lawsuit? I know that I wasn't discouraged to vote! In fact, the poll workers were quite polite and was very happy to see such a good turn-out! Some people should get over themselves and quit being sue hogs!!
  • by Mark Location: Quitman on Nov 9, 2011 at 05:20 AM
    FILE A LAWSUIT because of long lines? Give me a break. I guess we all need to file a lawsuit against Walmart when we have to wait in line!!!! Casting my vote is important to me. I stood in line in Quitman yesterday to vote. When does waiting in line justify filing a lawsuit? This so called law firm needs to be sued for filing stupid lawsuits. if waiting in line to cast your vote discouraged you from voting SHAME ON YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • by another voice Location: meridian on Nov 9, 2011 at 04:33 AM
    i was at the Frank Cochran Center and it was a mess. The poll workers were ill prepared to handle problems there. They had voting maching problems and had no one on the premises that could even change out paper in the voting machines. They offered paper ballots to some of the voters waiting in line while refusing others. Some guy named Little showed up and he wasn't any help either. I saw lots of people leave without voting! Not a pretty picture!
  • by Anonymous on Nov 9, 2011 at 12:26 AM
    It never amazes me when local and state "officials" say _______ like,'we're ready, we're prepared etc"...lol.. When things actually do take place or hapopen, "Oh, we didnt anticiate such huge turnout etc"...WHATEVER! Being READY means being OVERLY prepared rather than UNDER
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 133512908 - wtok.com/a?a=133512908