Boswell, Rutledge in Aug. 23 Runoff

The Aug. 23 Republican runoff in Lauderdale County
pits political newcomer Kyle Rutledge against a veteran incumbent, District 5 supervisor Ray Boswell.

Boswell had not spoken to the media about his run for re-election until Tuesday, when he appeared on WMOX-AM.

He talked about his stance on the issues and pointed out what he believes are the highlights of his time in office, which stretches back more than 20 years.

Boswell finds himself in the unusual position of facing a runoff opponent.

"I think about, not over 40 to 45 percent of the people actually came and voted," said Boswell. "I've looked over the list and there's lots and lots and lots of people that for some reason did not go to the polls."

Boswell was apparently referring to a list of the number of people voting at the precincts. Circuit Clerk Donna Jill Johnson says there is no list of people who voted.

Boswell has served as District 5 supervisor since 1988, except for one term. He lost in the 1995 election.

People were able to call into the radio station and have Boswell answer their questions. Although he has been a controversial figure during his time in office, he says his goal is simple, to serve the citizens of District 5 to the best of his ability.

Boswell spoke to Newscenter 11 briefly after his radio appearance.

"I just want to thank the people of District 5 for supporting me. They gave me 41 percent of the vote," Boswell said. "I led the ticket by some 400 votes, and I certainly appreciate it. I've worked hard throughout the years for the constituents of District 5. I know I'm not perfect, but I work hard every day to try and make District 5 one of the best supervisors we've ever had. We've accomplished many, many things. Nothing good just happens, you have to make those things happen, and I've tried to do that. Like I said, you do make mistakes. The only ones who don't make mistakes are the ones who don't do anything."

There were four candidates for District 5 supervisor in the Aug. 2 GOP Primary, and no one received at least 50% plus 1 to win it outright.

• by Just think on Aug 21, 2011 at 06:15 AM
    Three new supervisors???? Could this be a turning point for Lauderdale County??? Come on people, here's our chance!!!
  • by Retired Location: Meridian on Aug 20, 2011 at 01:14 PM
    Ray is quick to help others with tax payer money, employees & equipment. He thinks he is a godfather or something and he does whatever it takes to win and he doesn't care what it costs the taxpayers for him to keep his job. The man would starve if he had to work a real job. Whatever happened to the Unit system we voted in just to keep people like Ray from becoming lords over their kingdoms? Where is the state PEER committee to look into his deeds?
  • by Julie Harkins on Aug 19, 2011 at 11:35 AM
    If Kyle Rutledge didn't have a brain in his head, couldn't stand on 2 legs in the board meetings, had to follow the consensus to vote, he would still be a far better Supervisor for District 5 than who you have there now. For you have a bully, crass, ill-mannered moron who keeps his 'massa' status among his constituents by buying or stealing their votes. I think the people of the district are fed up with his little boy tantrum antics. New young blood, an honest Christian man, is worth a try - far better than the choices you've been given in a long time. And Ray, the brown boxes will be followed from the polling places to the courthouses. That's an invite from people who care to make sure that the boxes leave & arrive in a timely manner. Be wary of this crook, he'll try anything.
  • by Crystal Location: District 5 on Aug 19, 2011 at 08:01 AM
    I am so excited about this opportunity to vote for Kyle. He is such a good, Christian man with a good, supportive Christian wife. They both are teachers in our schools and have a genuine care for our children. They are our future and so is Kyle Rutledge! I can't wait to vote for him!!
  • by Anonymous on Aug 19, 2011 at 05:06 AM
    He said he was a big part of water shuttle for fire department . He is a lier he may have been in office but that give the right so say he did anything . PEOPLE VOTE THIS MAN OUT .
  • by Anonymous on Aug 18, 2011 at 01:53 PM
    We have one new supervisor in the county. Maybe we can get 2 more next week .
  • by Larry Location: Long Creek on Aug 18, 2011 at 01:43 PM
    HOPE we can say goodbye RAY next week ! Kyle can not be as bad as Ray has been . The people that want him out need to vote because we know Ray will have all his people that think he does nothing wrong out vote for him. All the people has done so good name one thing he has done to the county not him are his friends.
  • by Fed UP ! Location: Meridian on Aug 18, 2011 at 05:58 AM
    If you want to see the REAL Ray Boswell go to YouTube and search 'ray boswell at jj's'. There is a 40 second delay before the video starts and a WARNING regarding bad language(children should not be near the computer when you are viewing).
  • by chuckles Location: lauderdale county on Aug 18, 2011 at 01:23 AM
    I wonder who the scapegoat will be if Ray is voted out of office. The reason businesses don't come to Meridian is because TPTB don't want good paying jobs in this area.
  • by chuckles Location: lauderdale county on Aug 18, 2011 at 01:23 AM
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 127900843 - wtok.com/a?a=127900843