Mississippi Defeats Personhood Initiative

By: The Associated Press
By: The Associated Press

Mississippi voters Tuesday defeated a ballot initiative that would've declared life begins at fertilization, a proposal that supporters sought in the Bible Belt state as a way to prompt a legal challenge to abortion rights nationwide.

The proposal was pushed by a Colorado-based group, Personhood USA. The group's co-founder, Keith Mason, says he intends to renew efforts in Mississippi, either through legislation or through another ballot initiative.

The group is trying to put similar initiatives on 2012 ballots
in Florida, Montana, Ohio and Oregon, Nevada and California.

Mason said the group plans to pursue life-at-fertilization legislation next year in Alabama, Wisconsin and Michigan.

Voters in Colorado rejected similar ballot initiatives in 2008
and 2010.

In Mississippi, the measure divided the medical and religious
communities.

• by 2KD Location: Meridian on Nov 14, 2011 at 09:41 AM
    I haven't read the bill completely so I have one question. If a child is conceived in 2011 but born in 2012 do the parents have the right to claim the "person" as a tax deduction in 2011 under this legislation. For the record I voted no.
  • by Bonnie Clementine Location: Meridian on Nov 12, 2011 at 07:54 PM
    I, for one, am so proud of my homestate! Yes, intitially, it was a little embarrassing to be mocked by other states and to be accused of missing the 21st century... but we made it, folks! Reason and ration won this time. Good job to all of you who got your butts out there and voted!
  • by Retired Location: Meridian on Nov 11, 2011 at 02:46 PM
    If I were Planned Parenthood and wanted to cause a division among the Christians, I would write an Initiative worded like this one. Lawyers must have written this turkey because it was destined to the courts. It could mean anything to anybody. It was poorly written and would not have solved a thing. Change the word "Fertilization" to "Conception" and do away with the cloning part and I would have voted for it.
  • by Peabody Location: Valley Road on Nov 9, 2011 at 04:55 PM
    Stopping an egg from reaching the incubator is not aboration. If a comman sence abortion bill was put up it would pass in a heartbeat in MS. I'm not stupid but still need laws spelled out in simple terms with details before I vote for them.
  • by ww Location: philly on Nov 9, 2011 at 04:05 PM
    I voted no and am proud of it.If it would have been voted in that would not have stopped abortion.Whatever a person wants they will find a way to get it.If it would have been voted in people would have gone to another state or worse paid one of those back alley abortionist to perform it.When something is outlawed thats when the sleezy abortionist come to profit.
      by Anonymous on Nov 12, 2011 at 06:41 PM in reply to ww
      I think you've been too indoctrinated by organizations like Planned Parenthood, et al. Much of the abortion on demand would STOP & abortion for convenience would STOP. It would put a stop to many using abortion as a means of birth control & minimize abortion mills. Hun, abortionists make huge profits now & aborted fetal tissue is used for vain reason: women's cosmetics. The collagen in women's cosmetics is made from aborted fetal tissue & is in high demand at a huge profit. The female has to pay, but the abortionist & the abortion mill makes profit on both sides.
  • by Anonymous on Nov 9, 2011 at 12:36 PM
    People, bible verses are irrelevant in this conversation. Don't forget one of our country's founding ideals is SEPERATION OF CHURCH AND STATE!!
      by MYTH on Nov 12, 2011 at 06:49 PM in reply to
      The concept of the separation of church and state refers to the distance in the relationship between organized religion and the nation state. The term is an offshoot of the phrase, "wall of separation between church and state," as written in Thomas Jefferson's letter to the Danbury Baptist Association in 1802. The phrase "separation of church and state" itself does not appear in the United States Constitution. The First Amendment states that "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof." READ THE CONSTITUTION you moron. Bible verses ARE relevant.
  • by mimi Location: county on Nov 9, 2011 at 12:06 PM
    People love themselves more than they fear God. We could have made a stand and I believe the Lord would have taken care of the rest. Sad day for our state!
  • by Get over it! on Nov 9, 2011 at 11:51 AM
    I just wonder how many people who voted yes on this nonsense are actually mentoring and supporting the children in need that are here on this earth RIGHT NOW? If you're not . . . then I am of the opinion that you're nothing more than a busybody that is too concerned with what other people choose to do with their bodies. Do YOUR part ... stop worrying about those who choose to something other than what you think is right. Let God be their judge. Use all that busy-body energy for good . . . there are plenty of children around that could use a positive role model/support system.
  • by JO Location: Meridian on Nov 9, 2011 at 11:49 AM
    I voted no not because I'm for abortion, but because I am for LIMITED gov. As I said I'm not for abortion and would never even consider it, those that do will have to live with that and will have to explain themselves to God. He gives us the ability to make choices and you have to live with the ones you make, but the gov. should not be able to tell anyone what they can and can not do to or with their body.
  • by Andy Location: Meridian on Nov 9, 2011 at 11:11 AM
    Am very proud that my fellow Mississippians did not allow religious fanatics to impose their warped views on my state. Please neighbors, if you voted yes on this issue please move to Texas as mississippi will now longer tolerate your intolerance.
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 133507133 - wtok.com/a?a=133507133