Supreme Court Won't Stop Mississippi Execution

The U.S. Supreme Court declined Tuesday to stop the scheduled execution Larry Matthew Puckett.

Puckett is scheduled to die by lethal injection at 6 p.m. Tuesday for the sexual assault and slaying of a Forrest County woman.

Puckett was convicted in the 1995 death of Rhonda Hatten Griffis, a 28-year-old mother of two. He was 18 at the time.

Puckett spent Tuesday visiting with relatives. He requested a last meal of Macadamia nut pancakes, shrimp and grits, ice cream cake, caramel candy and root beer.

Thousands have signed an online petition in support of Puckett, insisting he is innocent.

Puckett's supporters hope to persuade Gov. Phil Bryant to stop the execution.

Puckett has requested that his body be released to his mother, Mary Puckett.

Meanwhile, death row inmate, William Mitchell, has asked the U.S. Supreme Court to stop his execution set for Thursday.

In documents filed Tuesday with the court, Mitchell says his previous attorneys didn't do a good job and the Mississippi courts have refused to give him a hearing and an expert to prove his "intellectual disability."

Mitchell, now 61, had been out of prison on parole for less than a year for a 1975 murder when he was charged with raping and killing 38-year-old Patty Milliken. Milliken disappeared on Nov. 21, 1995, after walking out of the Majik Mart convenience store where she worked in Biloxi to have a cigarette with Mitchell. Her body was found the next day under a bridge.

• by Sara Location: Columbus on Mar 20, 2012 at 04:34 PM
    @Gregory... I was a pen pal with Matt for a couple of years... rest assured, Mississippi is correct in this judgement and I find nothing funny about any of this.
      by Anonymous Too on Mar 21, 2012 at 03:25 PM in reply to Sara
      Sara are you saying he told you about the crime while writing or what?
  • by Someone Old Location: Meridian on Mar 20, 2012 at 03:53 PM
    "Judged by 12, carried by six" and that's the way it should be. If they're innocent, then let their creator sort it out!
      by Gregory on Mar 20, 2012 at 04:36 PM in reply to Someone Old
      Everyone, let's have a round of applause for "Someone Old," an exemplary compassionate Christian!
        by Someone Old on Mar 21, 2012 at 03:49 PM in reply to Gregory
        I NEVER said I was xtian !
  • by Anonymous on Mar 20, 2012 at 03:42 PM
    There have been so many murders. Some murderers get the death sentence, some get life in prison, some get only a slap on the wrist serving only a few months or years. I don't understand the justice sentence. I know the answer will be "it depends on the circumstances". If it wasn't self-defense or an accident, there is no circumstance. All the victims are just as dead. The justice system needs some work. There have probaby been innocent people who died. On top of that, there are cold blooded killers who have been pardoned instead of spending the rest of their lives in jail. The justice system needs to be revamped. When Jesus came, grace and mercy came. Thou shalt not kill. The justice should be life in prison without any possibility of parole.
  • by Gregory Location: Collinsville on Mar 20, 2012 at 03:40 PM
    If, in the future, new evidence should turn up that exonerates either of these men, I hope the state of Mississippi is sued for an unprecedented amount of money. And, if that should happen, I will laugh and laugh and laugh. Mississippians, you get the kind of governance you deserve: no more, no less. Your legislators, your judges, and your prosecutors will only be as intelligent, as corruption-free, and as compassionate as you are.
  • by rita Location: VICKSBURG on Mar 20, 2012 at 03:05 PM
    I say don't do the crime if you don't want to do the time. I don't think they would lock you if they don't have evadence to prove without a dought he did the crime. You can not find anyone in jail or parchman that did what they where their for. I'm sorry for his family but the lady had a family too. I know what it feels like to have a family member took from you . My 2 boys father was robbed and shot 2x and he is at parchman now doing life without without parole that good for him because my kids didn't have a dad growing up. You know if they would start doing to these people what they do to others a lot of this crap would stop. If they still cut their hand off if they kill someone kill them the same way. oh the ones that like small kids do things they should not do to a child I know what to do to them too. The only thing I can say my God be with him , his family and to the lady family because they got to relive all of it all over again.
  • by judge Location: courtroom on Mar 20, 2012 at 01:58 PM
    Eye for an eye an tooth for a tooth...

So lawyers did a poor job huh? They still holding that job?....

by Gregory on Mar 20, 2012 at 03:32 PM in reply to judge
      Hey, "judge," what's your jurisdiction? I'd like to know so I can avoid it from now on.
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 143539616 - wtok.com/a?a=143539616