Double Crust (for one 9 to 10 inch double crust pie or two 9 inch single crust pies).
2 1/4 cups flour
1/2 tsp. salt
3/4 cup cold solid vegetable shortening
5-7 Tbsp. ice water
1. Sift flour and salt together; place n a medium bowl.
2. Divide shortening in half. Cut half of shortening into flour mixture with fingertips, a pastry blender, two knives, or the paddle attachment of an electric mixer until mixture resembles coarse meal.
3. Then cut in remaining shortening until mixture resembles small peas. Sprinkle ice water over mixture; toss with a fork to moisten dough evenly. Use as few strokes as possible and the minimum amount of water needed.
4. Gently press dough into a ball. Flatten ball slightly with a few strokes with the side of your hand. Wrap dough with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 1 hour. It will keep for 2-3 days in refrigerator or 1 month in freezer.
5. Let chilled dough soften slightly before rolling.
6. Place dough on lightly floured surface; sprinkle a little flour on top of dough or rub some on rolling pin. Roll out dough from center toward edge (easing pressure near edge of dough) 1/8 inch thick and 2 inches larger than the pie plate.
7. Carefully lift dough and give a quarter turn after each rolling, re-flour surfaces as needed to prevent sticking and tearing. Cupping hands slightly, occasionally reshape dough into a circle. If dough cracks or tears, brush a small flat piece of dough with water and apply as a patch. Place rolling pin just on one side of center of dough.
8. Lightly and gently drape half of dough over rolling pin, rest dough across pie plate, and unfold dough onto pie plate. Fit dough into plate with fingertips or a small ball of dough. Trim lower crust even with rim of pie plate.
9. Roll out second piece of dough (for top) slightly thinner than bottom crust. Fill pie; brush rim of bottom crust with cold water.
10. Place top crust on pie; press edges to seal; trim edge to 1/2 inch from rim and finish edges. Cut steam vent or slits in top crust before or after crust in on pie.
11. Bake according to recipe.