1 pasta frolla, chilled (recipe below)
Flour for rolling out dough
3 small Granny Smith apples
3 medium McIntosh apples
2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp. granulated sugar
1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon or nutmeg
2 egg whites
1 large egg
1 to 2 tsp. water
1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
1 1/4 tsp. baking powder
Grated zest of one lemon
7 Tbsp. unsalted butter, chilled and cut into 1/4 inches pieces
1. In a small bowl, whisk together the egg, vanilla and 1 Tbsp. water; set aside.
2. In a food processor, place flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and lemon zest. Pulse to combine.
3. Add butter and pulse just until the mixture resembles coarse meal, maybe 8-10 quick pulses.
4. Add egg mixture and process until liquid is incorporated.
5. Stop machine and squeeze a handful of dough; if it forms a ball, no more water is necessary.
6. Remove the dough from food processor and into large bowl. Gently shape into a ball about 30 seconds.
7. Shape into a 5” disk, put in a plastic bag and refrigerate at least two hours or up to two days.
1. Cut the dough into six wedges, then shape each wedge into a round and flatten slightly with your hand.
2. Place dough disk between two sheets of slightly floured parchment paper and roll into 6” circles. Peel off the top paper and discard.
3. Chill the dough while preparing the apples.
4. Peel, core and cut apples into 1/4 inch thick slices. Toss in a large bowl with the lemon juice, 1/4 cup sugar and cinnamon.
5. Take dough circles out of the fridge and place them with parchment, on cookie sheets.
6. Arrange the larger Granny Smith slices in a circle on each dough disc, creating a sort of wall. Leave a 1” edge of dough.
7. Stack the smaller McIntosh slices in the center.
8. Fold the edge of dough over the apples, pleating as you go. Cup the dough with your hands to compress and shape the tart.
9. Chill tarts for 30 minutes.
10. Put one oven rack in the top third and the other on the bottom third of the oven. Heat the oven to 400 degrees.
11. Bake tarts for about 15 minutes, then pull out of oven and brush the crusts with beaten egg white.
12. Sprinkle the apples with the 2 Tbsp. sugar.
13. Return to the oven, switching cookie sheet positions, and bake until crusts are deep golden, about 15 minutes.
Yield: 6 tarts