Try this appetizer that can double as a dessert!
1 1/8 cup water
1/2 cup butter
1 Tbsp. sugar
1 1/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp. vanilla
* For savory dishes, use salt, spices or cheese instead of sugar
1. Preheat oven to 400° F.
2. Grease cookie sheet.
3. Boil water, butter and sugar. Remove from heat, add sifted flour and cool slightly.
4. Beat in eggs one at a time with a wooden spoon; dough should have a soft dropping consistency.
5. Fill piping bag with dough, pipe small balls onto cookie sheet.
6. Bake for 25 minutes.
7. Remove from oven and pierce each ball with skewer to let steam out.
Slice each ball open with knife, and stuff with your choice of filling.
Banana Crème Filling
1 1/4 cup heavy cream
2 Tbsp. powder sugar
2 Tbsp. banana flavored liquor or extract
1. Whip cream, add powder sugar to taste (approx 3/4 cup).
2. Mash banana, sugar and banana flavor together, fold into whipped cream.
Smoked Salmon/Gouda Cheese Filling
3 oz. cream cheese, softened
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
1 tsp. horseradish
1/2 lb smoked salmon, flaked
1 cup gouda cheese, shredded
1 Tbsp. green onion, chopped
1. Mix cream cheese, juice and horseradish until well blended.
2. Add salmon, Gouda cheese and onion, and mix well.
8 oz cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 cup shrimp, chopped, cooked, cleaned
1/4 c parmesan cheese, grated
2 Tbsp. fresh parsley, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1. Beat cream cheese and mayo till well blended.
2. Add remaining ingredients, and mix well.
Profiterole Chocolate Sauce
3 1/2 oz. chocolate (semi-sweet or bittersweet)
2 Tbsp. water
4 Tbsp. powder sugar
2 Tbsp. butter
1. Melt in double boiler, stirring until smooth.
2. Pour over pofiteroles.