Mushrooms and Ramps
1 chicken (about 3 1/2 lbs)
1/4 cup unsalted butter
Oil (for cooking)
1 shot black berry brandy
2 finely chopped ramps
2 cups hard cider
For Sauce Ingredients:
1 2/3 cups sliced button mushrooms
1 cup heavy cream
For Garnish Ingredients:
1-2 golden delicious apples (cut into slices)
3 Tbsp. clarified butter
1/4 cup chopped parsley
1. Cut the chicken into four or eight pieces and season with salt and pepper.
2. Heat half the butter and a little oil in a skillet and sauté the chicken in batches, skin side down, until lightly browned. Pour off excess fat, return chicken to the pan, add the black berry brandy and flambé. Add the ramps and cook gently until softened.
3. Add the cider, cover and cook for 15 minutes, turning after 10 minutes.
1. Sauté the mushrooms in the remaining butter, covered, for 4 minutes. Add the mushroom and cooking juices, and the cream to the chicken and cook for 5 minutes.
2. Remove the chicken and keep warm.
3. Continue cooking the sauce for 10 minutes, or until it is reduced enough to coat the back of a spoon. Adjust the seasoning to your taste.
4. Return the chicken the pan, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 2 minutes to heat the chicken through.
5. Core unpeeled apples and cup across into thin slices. Fry in clarified butter until golden brown on both sides. Garnish the chicken with the apples and parsley. Enjoy!